There are over 250 varieties of potatoes grown in France. Exporting over 1.7 million tones of potatoes annually, the French offering proposes three types of potatoes possessing characteristics adapted to three specific culinary uses: baked/ mashed; stir fried/ steamed; and frying.
I took home some French potatoes, suitable for baking or mashing. French potatoes have very nice skin, we were told... which led me to using them for baked potatoes, since you eat them whole, skin and all.
Baked potatoes were one of my staples during uni days.. loved how simple yet delicious they were. Once baked, the potato can be paired with a multitude of toppings including cheese, baked beans, Coronation Chicken, Tikka Masala, and many more. The perfect baked potato should have a crispy skin and fluffy centre.
Simple, comforting and delicious!
How to Cook the Perfect Baked Potato
1. Select a suitable baking potato - in this instance, we used French baking potato, you can also use US Russet potatoes which are available in the supermarkets.
2. Using a brush, gently scrub the skin under running water, then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
3. Pierce the skin several times to allow steam to escape during the cooking process.
4. Rub with olive oil and sea salt.
5. Place the potatoes on a tray in a preheated oven (190C - no fan) and cook for 75-90 minutes, depending on their size. To test if they're ready, run a knife through the centre, it should go through easily. Just before removing them from the oven, change to grill setting (high heat) and grill for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, to crisp up the skin.
6. Cut open each potato. Add a generous slab of butter, and add your favorite toppings.
a.Butter + chives + mild Cheddar.
b. Butter + baked beans + mild Cheddar
So fluffy :)
We thoroughly enjoyed our baked potato lunch, made using French potatoes. Hopefully they will be available in Malaysian supermarkets soon!
French potatoes are extremely versatile and can be used in preparation of various dishes. A variety of Malaysian and French dishes prepared using French potatoes were served to us at the event held at Gobo Upstairs, Traders Hotel KL on 23 February 2017. Thanks Business France Malaysia for having us!
Soy braised chicken and potatoes with aromatic spices
Hachis Parmentier (French version of Shepherd's Pie) and Bergedil
French Fries and Gratin Dauphinois
Malaysian-style chicken curry with potatoes
Vichyssoise - cold potato soup
Location: Gobo Upstairs Lounge & Grill, Level 6, Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 50088 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: 03- 2332 9888
GPS Coordinates: 3.154271, 101.715417
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates. Thanks :)