One ingredient we always have in our fridge are lemons. We especially love adding them to our drinks, and one week we had a surplus of them, so I decided to make muffins with the kids. We chose to make lemon and orange poppy seed muffins.
When life hands you lemons, make lemon muffins ;)
This recipe appealed to me, since we could mix everything by hand, which meant I could just supervise while the kids did all the work. (I only helped with zesting the oranges and lemons, and melting the butter). Recipes with cup measurements are best for young kids as well.
They're easy to make and smelled wonderful even before they went into the oven.
The resulting muffin is moist, tangy and delicious! I think they taste extra nice with some butter on top and the poppy seeds add a lovely texture to the muffin.
Lemon and orange poppy seed muffins
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from here
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes 12 muffins
2 1/3 cups plain flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
tbsp poppy seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking
1/2 tsp salt
115g salted butter
zest of 2 medium lemons
Juice and zest of 1 orange
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
cup natural yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 210°C (no fan). Line the muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
2. Melt the butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Once melted, add the lemon juice, lemon zest, orange juice, and orange zest and whisk until combined. Whisk in the the eggs. Add in the yogurt and vanilla and whisk well. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add the flour, caster sugar, brown sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well with a spatula. Pour in the wet ingredients (from Step 2) and gently fold until the flour is just mixed in. Remember not to overmix - lumpy batter makes light muffins ;)
4. Spoon the batter into the liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 5 minutes at 210°C, then reduce the temperature to 190°C and continue to bake for a further 15-18 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack. Store in airtight container up to 5 days.
Note: If you do not like muffins which are too lemony, you can use 1 lemon and 2 oranges instead.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)