Sticky spiced chicken wings
This is really easy to make. Simply mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl, then add the chicken wings and rub in the marinade. It is best to marinate it overnight, or at least for an hour before popping it in the oven. I reduced the amount of chilli flakes slightly in case it would be too spicy for my kids - 1/2 teaspoon is just nice for us. I also added in extra fish sauce, some coarse black pepper and light soy sauce. I also brushed on some gula melaka glaze 15 minutes before end of cooking time to get the skin extra sticky. :)
They smelled, looked AND tasted amazing! Just how I like my chicken wings -sticky with lots of different flavours (sweet, salty, tangy and spicy). Both my kids absolutely enjoyed this.
By the way, greetings from Scotland! Sorry if I have not been visiting your blog but will do so when I get back from holiday. Last week, Hubby made some Gordon Ramsay scrambled eggs which I styled and posted on Instagram and my post received a retweet back from him (or his account) on Twitter :) I also bought his Ultimate Home Cooking book over here, so looking forward to trying more recipes when I get back!
Sticky spiced chicken wings
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
16 chicken wings
For the marinade
5 tbsp tamarind paste
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp palm sugar (gula melaka) or brown sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp chilli powder or flakes
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp gula melaka syrup, to glaze (optional)
1. Place marinade ingredients into a bowl, and mix well. Add chicken wings and using your hands, toss the wings, to ensure it is coated with marinade. Cover cling film and marinate overnight in the fridge, or at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C (roast mode). Line a baking tray with tin foil. Arrange chicken wings in a single layer in tray.
3. Roast for 15 minutes, then remove from oven. Brush gula melaka syrup glaze on one side, then place back in oven and roast for a further 7 minutes. Then, remove again from oven, turn the chicken over with tongs and brush with more glaze. Place back in oven for another 7-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and sticky. I cooked mine for a total of 35 minutes.
4. Serve warm, with a salad.
Note: I increased fish sauce from original recipe from 1 tbsp to 2, reduced chilli flakes from 1 tsp to 1/2 tsp, added in black pepper and light soy sauce and extra glaze.
* I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Gordon Ramsay" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of Cake. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Gordon Ramsay websites or cookbooks for the whole month of August 2014. You can link your posts at one of the host's pages.
Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in August 2014 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Mich of Piece of Cake and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.
Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:
* I am submitting this post to "Cook-Your-Books #15" hosted by Joyce.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)
*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 15 August 2014.