Monday, July 21, 2014

Recipe: Stir Fried Minced Pork with Thai Basil (Pad Horapa Moo)

Hello everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates as we were away on a family staycation last weekend :)

This Thai dish, pad horapa moo (minced pork with Thai basil) is perfect for busy weeknights. My kind of fast food, as it takes under 20 minutes to prepare and cook, and it's very delicious!



In Thailand, they usually use krapow, also known as holy basil. I didn't have that, so I substituted with horapa (Thai basil). The minced pork is cooked until golden, then seasoned with fish sauce, brown sugar and oyster sauce. We love Thai basil (and we have an abundance of it growing in our garden), so we added about  1 1/2 cups of it. This dish is usually served with white rice and a fried egg on top. To keep it authentic, we did just that :)



We absolutely love the taste of this dish - the minced pork was very flavorful and slightly spicy. Of course, you can adjust the spiciness level by adding or reducing the amount of chillies used. We used about 4 since we were serving this to the kids as well.

What do you usually cook on a busy weeknight or do you opt to eat out? :)




Stir fried minced pork with Thai Basil (Pad Horapa Moo)
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 11-13 minutes
Serves 3-4


Ingredients
350g minced pork
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-6 bird's eye chilli, deseeded and minced
1 onion, diced
2 tbsp cooking oil
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/8 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, washed

Rice, for 4
4 fried eggs (see Step 4 in this recipe)

1. In a wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the garlic, chilli and onion and cook for 2 minutes, until the garlic is lightly golden and fragrant.

2. Add the minced pork and cook for about 5 minutes, until it is lightly golden and cooked through. Add water, fish sauce, brown sugar and oyster sauce and cook for another 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, until the sauce has slightly reduced. Taste seasoning. Finally, stir in the Thai basil leaves until slightly wilted.

3. Serve immediately with white rice and a fried egg.






If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

13 comments:

  1. Basil with mince meat is always my favorite. I usually order that most of the time besides tom yum and pineapple rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds really good, thanks for sharing this.


    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. comfort food! i wouldn't mind having this for brekkie, lunch, dinner or supper :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great quick meal for tonight! I need to get Thai basil first. I love this sauce with fish sauce, brown sugar, oyster sauce.. one of my favorites. Love to eat with white rice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful meal. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We absolutely love Thai basil too! I can't imagine a dish like this without lots of that gorgeous aniseed flavour to it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure looks good. Can try this sometimes - good change from my missus' usual steamed minced pork dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, the perfect sunny side up caught my attention, nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Basil and I can get them FOC from neighbour's garden. This is comforting meal you have here. Simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yen, I really want to try this very simple but flavoursome dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yen,

    With and without staycation, you are still more blogging-active than me... shame on me :p

    I like your Pad Horapa Moo. For me, I like mine to have more chilies :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yen,
    Simple and delicious, my kinda meal!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...