Monday, April 28, 2014

Recipe: Chinese Stir Fried Egg Noodles (生面 sang meen)

Do you sometimes dream about a certain dish or food, and when you wake up, all you wanna do is cook (or go out hunting for it) and eat it? I have food dreams frequently and recently I  had a dream about 生面 (sang meen), also known as fresh egg noodles. When I woke up, I had a really strong craving for it so I went to the market to get the ingredients to cook this dish.

Chinese-style stir fried egg noodles 生面 (sang meen)


This is one of my favorite Chinese stir fried noodle dishes, and is a must-order for us if the restaurant offers it. For this, you need to use wantan noodles, which is a type of egg noodles. The egg noodles are first blanched in hot water, then cooked with an array of vegetables such as carrot, cabbage, spring onion and beansprouts as well as prawn and sliced fish cakes. This dish is typically seasoned with light and dark soy sauce, and then topped with some toasted white sesame seeds at the end. Best eaten with pickled green chillies :)



This was really similar to the ones we get from the Chinese restaurants around here and I was very happy that I was able to replicate it from memory. For something I managed to whip up in under 30 minutes with easily accessible ingredients, it definitely satisfied my cravings and more! :)




Chinese stir fried egg noodles 生面 (sang meen)
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 fresh wantan noodles, loosen
2-3 tbsp cooking oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 carrot, peeled and julienned
1 cabbage leaf, julienned
3 Chinese or shitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced
2 fishcake, thinly sliced
1 spring onion, cut into 1 inch length
A handful beansprouts, rinsed and drained
8 king prawns, peeled and deveined with tails intact
1/2 tsp ginger wine
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules (optional)

To serve
Pickled green chillies (recipe here)
1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds




1. Marinate prawns with the ginger wine.



2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Once boiling, add the noodles and cook for 10-15 seconds then rinse in cold water. Drain well.

3. In a wok, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until lightly golden. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for about 1 minute, then add the carrot and cabbage and cook for a further minute. Add the fishcake and prawns and cook for about 30 seconds, then place the noodles, stirring frequently. Season with dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and chicken stock granules and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until the noodle is cooked through (taste a strand).

4. Finally, add the spring onions and beansprouts and give it a quick stir, about 30 seconds, until cooked.

5. Serve immediately with some pickled green chillies. Garnish with some toasted white sesame seeds.

Note: If you cannot get fresh egg noodles, you can substitute for dried thin egg noodles. You can also add chicken, pork, roasted duck or smoked duck strips.








If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 18 October 2014.

19 comments:

  1. LOL, I've only had cravings so far, but Never dreamt of food before!
    Dear, if you've been dreaming of food, that sounds like a professional foodie at work, and you've gotta stop thinking about food too much!:-P
    You just had me laughing so much from the first line, LOL, that's really good!
    My dad just loves this noodles, and you made it sound so easy to make, I guess it's all about those hands in the kitchen; you're just talented!
    It's nothing at all like those in the restaurants, I say yours is much better! Thumbs up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! Sure can't go wrong with all those prawns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the extra touch of toasted sesame seeds! They made the photos look exceptionally tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I constantly have those thoughts! And you know I just cannot be satisfied until I have that item! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, Yen, you cook so much till you even dreamed about the food too! This is another noodle dish that you have cooked it so well. And the prawns, yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sang meen is one of my favourite noodles, especially your fried and with lots of prawns version, sound so good!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hungry looking at your sang meen

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sang meen looks yummy, especially with all the prawns! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sang meen is making me hungry and hope to have it for supper now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job with preparing a classic favourite! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!!!!
    Definitely will try it, thank you very much:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wah you made pickled chilli too, respect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes ..I always dream about food when i'm deprived of it especially in the midnight !! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not in my dreams but i kept having black hokkien mee in mind after seeing the one you posted recently and it's going to be sang meen next i guess :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yen,
    I do not dream about food! Already think too much of it during the daytime when thinking on the day's menu! LOL!
    Your sang meen looks delicious and I don't mind having a big plate of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Yen this noddles of yours look delicious. Love to have extra prawns, please! :))

    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. slurps.....am gonna try out this recipe. Thanks ya

    ReplyDelete
  18. The noodles look good! I certainly love this egg noodles very much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aiyoh my dear, you are making me drooling over it. Sang Mee is my favourite noodle.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...