Monday, October 29, 2012

Recipe: Homemade Asian Pickled Green Chillies

Pickled green chillies are a great accompaniment to many Asian dishes, especially noodles. I love eating it with my dry wantan noodles or Hakka mee. Usually, a restaurant that serves this alongside their noodles will get extra brownie points from me.



Though I love eating it in restaurants, I do not like the idea of buying it from the supermarket since there are preservatives and other additives in there. I decided to make my own and was surprised how easy it was. It was literally done in under 20 minutes, and the pickled chillies were ready to eat the following day. You can store this in your fridge for a while, but I reckon if you have a little everyday, this will last you less than 3 weeks.



What you must remember is to put on disposable gloves when handling the chillies, especially since you'll be cutting up a whole load of them and you may need to remove some of the seeds. Or else you will suffer from the "chilli burn" later on.

After one day, the pickled chillies will turn from a vivid green to a dark (dull) green hue. Homemade pickled green chillies definitely feels fresher and crunchier (since it is stored in the fridge), and is so appetizing! Everyone should have a jar of this in their fridge ;) I reckon this would work just as well with jalapeño peppers.



How to Make Pickled Green Chillies Video (click here to watch video in full screen)



Pickled green chillies
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Amy Beh - Kuali
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Makes 1 large jar (approx. 20 servings)

Ingredients
300g green chillies
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup boiled water, cooled
1 tbsp salt
5 tbsp caster sugar

Extra hot water, for Step 2


1. Wash and drain chillies well in a plastic colander.



2. Put on disposable gloves and cut chillies into thin round slices. Remove any seeds that look brownish (if you want it to be less spicy, then remove most of the seeds). Pour hot water over the sliced chillies and leave to sit for 10-15 seconds. Drain well and transfer chillies into a large jar.



3. In a separate bowl, mix vinegar, water, salt and sugar until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture into jar to pickle the chillies. The chillies will be ready the next day (or in a few hours time). Store in fridge until required. It will keep well for a year.


Before (vivid green)


After (dull green) - ready to eat!


Perfect with a bowl of noodles! (recipe for Hakka mee version 2.0 here)


*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 5 Nov 2012. 

39 comments:

  1. I love this, I need this to go with everything when I am at a "zhi char" stall... didn't know its so easy to make at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I never knew it was so easy too, I'm always going to have a jar of these in my fridge now ;)

      Delete
  2. I love green chillies, I must try and make one at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A must, if having kolo mee in Kuching...but not common here in Sibu. For our kampua mee, we just have chili sauce...and Foochow-style fried noodles, sliced red chilies in soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ok. There's no rule here which chilli we shd have with which noodle, but Hakka mee usually comes with pickled green chillies ;)

      Delete
  4. I love having tis when eating wantan mee or kolo mee =)

    Btw nice and evenly-chopped...hehe =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! If the restaurant no green chilli, then my enjoyment of the noodle also kurang a bit. :P

      Hehe thanks. It took a while to chop them all nicely, but other than that, not much else to do other than prepare the vinegar solution. Easy peasy!

      Delete
    2. My countenance will turn sour if there's none for my char siew wantan mee or kolo mee...hehe :P

      Delete
  5. I can't eat my wan tan mee w/o these wonderful green chillies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! I wonder if I should carry a small tupperware of these with me if I'm going for wantan mee, just in case they don't serve it there. Haha!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Baby Sumo, wow... I sure love this even with char kwey teow. :)
    I use homemade too, don't trust those selling at stores. And pickle ginger too very appetizing.

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, those in stores, dunno keep for how long edi.

      Delete
  7. hmm i prefer to eat Hakka noodles with red chili paste...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the dried chilli shrimp? But the original Hakka mee from Seremban, they serve it with pickled green chillies.

      Delete
  8. Dear Baby Sumo,

    These green chillies are so versatile and my favourite is to eat them with Cantonese style rice noodles. Best thing is they keep for months in the fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't think ours would last that long in the fridge. We had Hakka mee yesterday and I think my mum ate like 3 chillies worth already! She liked it very much.

      Delete
  9. ooo, i have to admit that i'm not a fan of pickled green chilies (i usually just leave them aside). but my family in malacca LOVES them! (maybe i don't share that chili gene) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont really like any other type of chilli (ie cili padi) but I love pickled green chillies! :P

      Delete
  10. I love the pickled ones - adds a kick and a zing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. me and josen addicted to these chilis especially in Charsiew wantan mee! And chee yoke yuen fun! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this simple recipe!! Btw, is that mee kolok or Hakka me? Im salivating just by looking at that bowl of noodles...hehehehe!! Imagine pairing with your sourish pickled green chili that would be great for supper!! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear, it's Seremban Hakka mee. I will post the recipe for v2.0 soon, but if u cannot wait then you can try this version 1.0: http://goodyfoodies.blogspot.com/2010/11/seremban-hakka-mee.html

      Delete
  13. You're right about that ! There's this weird aftertaste in those store-brought ones ! :P Your homemade version looks appetizing and so simple to make !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's ridiculously easy, right? Anyone can make it! ;)

      Delete
  14. actually i think it'll work better with jalapeño! just quite a lot more fragrant, should try it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I used to eat jalapeño pickles all the time in uk!

      Delete
  15. Yum, i love pickled green chillies. Thanks for sharing this Yen, have always wanted to try making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Great catching up with u today ;)

      Delete
  16. This green chili is so delicious, - total pleasure to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wanna make some , thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We use these pickled green chillies in almost everything from our plain rice to sandwiches or as an add on to our tacos and other mexican dishes...yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, baby sumo i love your blog goody foodies, i did follow you in pinterest, but your recipres are not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may pin them from my website here. :)

      Or u can follow me on FB (http://fb.com/goodyfoodies)

      Delete
  21. Hi Baby Sumo.

    What type of vinegar did you use? Can I use white vinegar?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. pickled green chilies -- in my case, serranos (when available) and jalapenos (always in my fridge) -- are great in baked potatoes and in sandwiches, too (including the Sardine Banh Mi i'm making this weekend).

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...