Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Recipe: American Pancakes with Korean Strawberries & Whipped Cream (Jamie Oliver)

Happy Pancake Day! 

In United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, Shrove Tuesday is also known as "Pancake Day" due to the tradition of eating pancakes on the day. This morning, Hubby whipped up some lovely pancakes for our breakfast.

American Pancakes with Korean Strawberries & Whipped Cream

We are using Jamie Oliver's American pancake recipe which I have used several times in the past to great success. The pancakes are thick and fluffy, and Hubby says they're just like the ones his grandma used to make him. Korean strawberries are in season (my fav!), so I sliced them thinly and layered it between each pancake with some whipped cream, before a final drizzle of honey (or maple syrup) on them. So very delicious.... what a great way to start the day!




The pancakes are also great with some butter and homemade roselle jam(recipe coming up soon!).





American pancakes with Korean strawberries & whipped cream
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes 6-8

Ingredients
3 large eggs, at room temperature
115g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
140ml full cream milk
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp of caster sugar

Canola oil
10 Korean strawberrries, sliced
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp icing sugar
Honey (or maple syrup)



1. First, separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another.

2. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter.

3. Whisk the whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. You can use an electric whisk, so this can be done in no time at all. Fold the egg whites gently into the batter – it is now ready to use.

4. Heat a good non-stick pan on medium heat, then add a drop of oil. Using a ladle, pour some of your batter into the pan and fry until it starts to look golden and firm, then flip the pancake over and continue frying until both sides are golden.

5. Using an electric whisk, whip the cream with icing sugar until stiff.

6. Place 1 piece pancake on a plate, then top with a dollop of cream and strawberries. Repeat with another 2-3 pieces of pancakes until you get a nice pancake stack. Drizzle with (or maple syrup) and dust with some icing sugar. Serve immediately.

Note: You can also serve with crispy bacon (as seen in post here). 





I am submitting this to the "Cook Like a Star 2nd anniversay" event which is hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Mich of Piece of Cake.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

20 comments:

  1. Yen, this is so tempting. Love strawberry with whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sound simply perfect for a lovely morning breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yen, pancakes are such great comfort food! And it's a good excuse to have them on a pancake day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Strawberries on freshly whipped cream and thick fluffy pancakes just like grandma's. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yen, my son was given a pancake today by his caucasian classmate, not sure whether is due to the Pancake Day so when I picked him up after school, he begged me for making pancakes for him, hahaha. I told him that I only have time to do it on the weekend. I always heard that Korean strawberries are sweet. The colours do look very red, hmmm, the plate of pancakes is full of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be..the angmohs always celebrate Pancake Day esp if they r Christians.

      Delete
  6. Hi Yen,
    How lovely of your hubby! Very nice pancakes, looks utterly yummy with the cream and strawberries. A perfect start to a day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos never failed to tempt me, love the way you stacked the pancakes and how the cream was smeared :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I use ENO instead of the pinch of salt, makes the pancakes fluffier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pancakes look delicious and very pretty with strawberries and cream sandwiched between them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. my gosh, this looks like the perfect pancake preparation. so pretty! i like how you put so much cream in between, i love cream :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Let me try and see if I can get the flour and baking powder here, then I can try this recipe too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wah...I can have this anytime !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yen,

    Happy belated pancake day! Yours are the gourmet kind of pancakes with all the finest ingredients... Yum! My colleagues told me that yesterday... I was too tired and gave her the zombie look... ha ha ha! Wish I have enough time every morning to cook pancakes :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahh, with a cup of good coffee and this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous looking recipe! You've talked about Korean strawberries before and I'm still really intrigued by them. I don't think we'll get them here though. I might have to wait until I get to Asia. How long is the season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, we can get them twice a year... about 3 months each time.

      Delete
  16. This looks so pretty! I never seen a pancake recipe that looks this pretty. With whipped cream and strawberries, this is sort of like a cake (for breakfast!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Yen, such beautiful and lip smacking pancake!! Your hubby must be a good chef, like you too! Have a wonderful day ahead with your family and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kids have been asking for pancakes and I have no time to make them! Your pancakes look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...