Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Recipe: Homemade Cereal Bars + Granola

We have been eyeing this recipe on Great British Chefs "Cooking with Kids" app, and since we still had some leftover organic rolled oats, we decided that we should finally give it a go.

This cereal bar or better known as granola bars in the US has all of my children's favorite ingredients. Granola is a popular breakfast and snack food  containing rolled oats, nuts, honey, and dried fruits which are baked until crisp. It can also be pressed and made into a granola bar.



A really easy one to make and you can get your kids to participate. This recipe is supposed to produce cereal / granola bars, however not all of the mix stuck together, so we got half granola bars and half granola, but that is no matter, as it was still very nice to eat. My kids loved munching it on it as their evening snack. These are not too sweet, and pretty addictive. Do store them in an airtight container in the fridge as it helps them hold the shape better.


Homemade cereal bar, also known as granola bar


To those who wish to attempt this recipe, you may need to increase the amount of honey you add in to successfully create the granola bars. I followed the original recipe, and did not want to increase the honey too much in case it was too sweet, but maybe I should have to get better looking granola bars. Most other granola recipes I have seen uses quite a lot of sugar and honey. If you have any other tips which you wish to share, do let me know in the comments below. Appreciate it!


If they don't hold their shape well, don't worry - just have them as granola. Tastes just as great!



Homemade Cereal Bars + Granola
Recipe adapted from Great British Chefs - Adam Gray
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Makes 12-15

Ingredients
120ml of rapeseed or canola oil
5-6 tbsp of clear runny honey
200g porridge / rolled oats
25g pumpkin seeds
110g walnuts roughly chopped
50g almond flakes
90g of dried apricots, roughly chopped
20g dried cranberries



1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (no fan). Line a 24cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.

2. In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and the honey, stir until the honey is hot and remove from heat.

3. Add the oats, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, stirring well to ensure the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.

Mix the ingredients well


4. Once mixed, make sure it's sticky enough to hold together by pressing in your hands, if not add a little more honey. Scoop the mixture into the lined baking tin, pressing down firmly.

5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges turn a golden brown colour.

6. While still warm, score into 12-15 individual bars. Leave the cereal bars in the tin to cool completely, then serve or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. (Note: Due to Malaysia's hot climate, we keep this in the fridge to keep them firm as they tend to go too soft when left in room temperature)

*Your child can help mix the ingredients (Step 3) as well as pressing it into the baking tin (Step 4).






*I am submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Oats" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY and hosted by Vivian Pang's Kitchen. You can link your oat recipes here.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

9 comments:

  1. Hi Yen,

    Lucky you that your kids like cereal bars. It is a challenging task for me to convince my boy to eat cereal bars... I have been asking him to bake the bars with me too but he refuses.... Ai ya!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice one...Yen, have you bake anything with florentine mix? I use it to bind the almond slice together.

    You may refer the following link to take a look at it.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hTDkPOqpaGI/UWuGBkB4OFI/AAAAAAAAA1Y/M0VN9ILz41w/s640/C360_2013-04-14-19-44-57_org.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your healthy granola bars, Yen! I don't know why my children don't like them. Every time when I tell them that I'm going to put some cereal bar in your milk, they will give me sour face, ai.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yen, I have always wanted to bake my own cereal bars but haven't got started. I have seen recipes using corn syrup but I am not too keen on that. Honey is lots better but perhaps not as sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Yen, I have made granola bars that totally fell apart so yes they became granola!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so lovely esp the one you have filled in a muffin liner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is quite expensive to buy this type of bars, better do our own, cheap and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live to munch on granola whenever hunger strike me :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. perhaps next time when i make my muesli bars again, i can add in more honey ..

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...