Monday, February 4, 2013

Recipe: The 2-Ingredient Homemade Pineapple Jam

Before I can make pineapple tarts for Chinese New Year, I first had to make the pineapple jam to top on the pastry. Making pineapple jam is not difficult at all, in fact you only need 2 ingredients for a basic jam. It takes about 1 hour to make and you need to stir it quite often to avoid the jam from burning.


For this pineapple jam, I used a pineapple variety called "Crystal pineapple" which I got from Jusco. It is slightly tart in its uncooked form, and has the delicious pineapple smell and  taste. This is perfect for making jam since you will be adding quite a substantial amount of sugar to preserve it. You should also try to choose an underripe fruit rather than overripe fruit since it is higher in pectin (a natural setting agent).


We still have quite a lot of leftover after making the pineapple tarts. I will be using this as a spread on my toast and crackers too, absolutely love how fresh it tastes. It sure adds a touch of luxury to everyday eating.


The Two-Ingredient Homemade Pineapple Jam
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
Makes 1 tub

Ingredients
1kg pineapple (peeled weight) - about 3 no.
1/4 cup water
150g caster sugar

1. Cut pineapple into medium sized chunks, including core. Place into blender with the water and blend on high speed until the pineapple is liquidized (like pineapple puree). If using food processor, you can omit the water (shortens cooking time too - made it another time with Sarawak pineapples blended in food processor cooking time was 40-45 mins).

2. Pour the pineapple into a large wok and stir until thick and 3/4 of juice has evaporated, this will take about 30 minutes on medium heat.

3. Pour in the sugar, the mixture will become slightly watery again. Cook over medium low heat for another 20-25 minutes until mixture has thickened and is golden in colour.

4. Allow to cool, then store in jam jars and use as required. The jam will further thicken once it is cooled. This will keep for up to 1 month in the fridge.

Note:  If making for pineapple tarts, the pineapple jam should be cooked until thick and drier in consistency.




*Recipe for easy pineapple tarts can be found here.


* I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.

I am also submitting this to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 7 February 2013.

22 comments:

  1. Definintely looking forward to the pineapple tart post!

    The pineapple filling looks absolutely scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe will post it this week! I made about 30 (1 jar) and they were all gone by the end of the day.

      Delete
  2. Now this is a recipe i know I'd love! Am a major fan of pineapple tarts, they're the kuih I look forward to most every CNY :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pineapple tarts are my favorite CNY goodies too, and the thing I love most about them is the jam. Now I can jus open up a jar of jam and eat it straight :P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hehe! I'm not sure if my kids will be ready to part with it :P

      Delete
  4. Hi Yen,

    Can you link your post with mine at the Little Thumb up event? The theme for Feb is Pineapple!

    Cheers!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, have done so. Waiting for u to send me the inlinkz code.

      Delete
    2. Hi Yen,

      Thanks for linking with me :D I have decided to make this just a link-up event (like Aspiring Bakers) rather than blog-hop event and so didn't provide any Inlinkz code for any blog hop. Like Aspiring baker, so that anyone can host this event whenever they want. Cheers!

      Zoe

      Delete
  5. Wow! this jam looks so summery & sunny that really brightens up my day ! I was just thinking about making pineapple jam for my friend 'J' as he loves pineapple. Saw some recipe for pineapple tart which I personally think that it's too sweet. Your recipe sounds great to me & truly LOVE the color! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed with this jam myself, had it on bread for breakfast this morning and it's so great! I hope yr friend will like it too.

      Delete
  6. Clever idea using the underripe fruit for the pectin-the sweetness doesn't matter if you're adding sugar to it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I buy underripe pineapple, I know what to do with it ;)

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious... home made jam is best.. I am not a pineapple tart fan but pineapple jam sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so addictive, I tell you... I ended up sitting at the table this morning with a spoon and the jar open. LOL!

      Delete
  8. hmmmmm...so waiting for the tart post..and what a lovely easy jam!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yen, I'm trying to look for a shortcut for this pineapple tarts for next year's CNY, haha! Or may be you can give me the spare jam? Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no other shortcut unless you buy or ask someone to give you. You live so far.... not sure if the pineapple jam can survive the journey??

      Delete
  10. I also like my pineapple filling with only two ingredients , nothing much, truly pineapple taste!
    Next time try to use food processor then you don't need to add water, unlike using blender you need to add some water ,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the tip. Then the cooking time will be cut shorter :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Yen,
    I love to cook my pineapple jam with 2 ingredients only too. I would not add other ingredients because I only wanted the fragrance of the pineapple in my jam.... :)

    Your jam look delish and I like the golden color. I bet this is not only good for tart, like you mention I love it on crackers.(^^*)
    Thanks and we are glad to have you joining our
    'Littke Thumbs Up'
    mui

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...