Saturday, November 8, 2014

Recipe: Korean-style Marinated Steak with Grilled Scallions (Bobby Flay)

We're cooking Bobby's Flay recipes for "Cook Like a Star" event the whole of this month, so I have been browsing his recipes online. I found a couple of good steak recipes to try, and one of them is this Korean-style marinated steak with grilled scallions.



In his recipe, Bobby Flay uses skirt steak but I substituted with striploin steak since this is more readily available over here in KL. A Korean commented on this recipe that the marinade tastes pretty authentic, which gives me the confidence to try it. The steak is simply marinated for 30 minutes, then grilled to medium rare. Bobby serves his with some grilled scallions and tortilla wraps, but I omitted the wraps since this would be plenty for lunch.

The steak has a distinctive Asian flavour to it, and it does remind me of eating kalbi (Korean-style beef ribs). I would however increase the brown sugar in future, as the one I had before in the Korean restaurant is slightly sweeter. Overall, a good, simple recipe to try and makes a nice change, however my favorite way of eating steak is still naked with some good sea salt.


Grilled to medium rare perfection, I have to say! :)


Scallions (spring onions) from our garden for this dish!

Let me snap some photos of mummy's steak too!

Korean-style marinated steak with grilled scallions
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Bobby Flay
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves 1-2

Ingredients
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp sake
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 scallions, white part only, minced
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
300g striploin steak (1" thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
1 tbsp cooking oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

To garnish
2-3 whole scallions, cleaned


1. Combine sugar, soy sauce, sake, garlic, scallions, ginger and sesame oil in a bowl or flat dish. Add the steak and coat well and leave to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning once.



2. Preheat grill or grill pan. Brush off the scallions, ginger and garlic from the steaks (as it will burn easily on the grill) and place the steak on the grill. Grill for 2 minutes each side for medium rare.

3. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes, before slicing thinly against the grain. Season with more salt and pepper as necessary.

4. Meanwhile, place the spring onions in the pan and grill for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. Pour in the remaining marinade into the pan to thicken into a sauce for dipping.

Note: I will increase sugar to 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp the next time I make it.




**************
I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Bobby Flay" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Grace of Life Can Be Simple. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Bobby Flay websites or cookbooks for the whole month of November 2014.

Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in November 2014 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Grace of Life Can Be Simple and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.

Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

8 comments:

  1. Yen, your steak is perfectly done! If this tastes very much like the Korean kalbi, then I have got to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this steak looks much more alluring than most of the steaks i've eaten this year! bravo, so good! :D the marinade sounds very interesting too for a beef recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love kalbi so I think this steak would be a total hit here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo...lovely scallions! Mine don't grow fast enough for my missus to use. Tsk! Tsk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe we usually grow a few pots so we have a constant supply :D

      Delete
  5. Oh my... that looks awesome! I love scallions too! Can make plenty of scallions-pancake (Taiwan style) or with a touch of Hae-Bee (Dried Shrimp). Love your photos as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen,

    I think that Baby D is learning to be like you taking pic of food :p

    I have noticed that BF likes cooking with Korean flavours too. This fusion style steak must be very flavorsome.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love beef. This looks so good. I have never cooked any Korean food.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...