Everyday, I would pick Baby D up from school and we would come home and have a snack/lunch together before he takes his afternoon nap.
Baked egg Florentine with toast and freshly squeezed orange juice
Being egg lovers, we decided to try out Gordon Ramsay's baked egg Florentine recipe. For convenience, you can buy a packet of ready-to-eat young spinach leaves. While Baby D wilted the spinach in the frying pan with some butter, the oven was being preheated. Crack an egg (or two, depending on how hungry you are) in the centre, and spoon some creme fraiche or Greek yogurt all over. It adds a little extra creaminess to the dish, but you can skip it if you want - I find that my kids prefer it without. Then, simply bake it until the egg white has set and egg yolk is still soft and runny.
Quick, easy and nutritious too :)
We like having it with some toast for a more substantial meal - Baby D especially likes dipping the bread in the soft yolk.
Mmmmm, I like it, mummy, says the boy ;)
Baked Egg Florentine
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Gordon Ramsay's "Fast Food"
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
1 tbsp salted butter
250g spinach leaves, washed and dried
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
3 tbsp creme fraiche or Greek yogurt
Nutmeg, for grating
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (no fan).
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Once melted, add the spinach leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until just wilted.
3. Divide spinach among 2 buttered ramekins or baking dishes, making a well in the centre. Crack an egg each in the centre, season with salt and pepper. Spoon the creme fraiche or yogurt around the egg, then grate nutmeg (if using).
4. Bake in preheated oven for 9-10 minutes, until the egg whites are set and yolks are still runny and soft. Serve immediately with toast.
* I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Gordon Ramsay" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of Cake. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Gordon Ramsay websites or cookbooks for the whole month of August 2014. You can link your posts at one of the host's pages.
Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in August 2014 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Mich of Piece of Cake and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.
Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:
* I am also submitting this post to "Cook-Your-Books #15" hosted by Joyce.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)