Monday, March 17, 2014

Recipe: Jamie Oliver's Easy Flatbread

Last week, Hubby put in a request for chicken curry for dinner. No problem, I said, and I suggested that we also make flatbread to eat with the curry. I have bookmarked Jamie Oliver's easy flatbread recipe after seeing it on one of my blogger friends, Lian's blog.

Jamie Oliver's easy flatbread, served with my simple chicken curry


While I cooked the chicken curry, I delegated the task of making the flatbreads to Hubby :) Simply mix all the ingredients together and knead for 1 minutes, roll them out into rounds and they're ready to cook. The finished product looks similar to Indian naan, however this is much easier as no proofing and hardly any kneading is required and you can cook this in a griddle pan. I love the grill marks on these flatbreads. The flatbreads have a slightly chewy texture, which goes so well with my chicken curry. Once cooked, pile them up to retain the heat - these are best eaten warm.





I reckon these flatbreads would be great with some homemade hummus or soup too :)





Jamie Oliver's Easy Flatbread
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver 
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
Makes 12


Ingredients
350 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
350 g natural yoghurt

Serve with:
Simple chicken curry


1. Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together with a spoon, then use clean hands to pat and bring everything together.

2. Dust a clean work surface with flour, then tip out the dough.

3. Knead for a minute or so to bring it all together (this isn't a traditional bread recipe, so you don't need to knead it for long – just enough time to bring everything together).

4. Dust a rolling pin with flour, then divide the dough in half, then divide each half into 6 equal-sized pieces (roughly the size of a golf ball).

5. With your hands, pat and flatten the dough, then use a rolling pin to roll each piece into 12cm rounds, roughly 2mm to 3mm thick.

6. Use a knife to cut 6 lines into the centre of each round, leaving about 3cm at each end.

7. Place the griddle pan on a high heat, then once hot, cook each one for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until bar-marked and puffed up, turning with tongs. (I cooked them for about 1 1/4 mins each side, you can cook two at one time)

8. Pile the flatbreads onto a serving board so everyone can dig in and help themselves. I served them with chicken curry (recipe here).






I am submitting this to the "Cook Like a Star 2nd anniversay" event which is hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Mich of Piece of Cake.



If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

19 comments:

  1. Hi Yen,
    Flat bread with curry chicken!!
    I would like this for my breakfast :D
    Simply delicious!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yen,
    My kinda meal! Love chicken curry with bread and these flatbreads looks wonderful!
    Have seen it at Lian's too!
    Yummilicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yen, glad you make the flatbread and have it with curry chicken. Delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yen,

    I remember these flat-breads!!! You have made them as good as Lian's :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tastes great with the chicken curry.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. heh heh.. i will eat it as it is..... niceeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  7. the bread looks gorgeous! looks like it would be lovely with savoury gravies in particular, though i'd happily eat a slice on its own too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flatbread seem easy to make. Very scrumptious combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks lovely, simple to make too! Maybe I'll try it some day:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flatbread with Curry Chicken - It's delicious Yen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhhh!!!! School holidays next week - another thing my daughter and I can try. Looks like my mum's roti bayi (sikh man) - eaten with curry. Never found out her recipe for that, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yen, it is a great idea to eat curry with flatbread instead of rice! Sound easy to make, I'll give it a go one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I told myself that I was going to make homemade flat bread for....at least few years and haven't started yet. But definitely homemade looks so nice! Eating with curry is a must. Looks delicious, Yen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your flatbread looks good, having it with curry must have been enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yen bread with curry chicken, it sure look inviting and delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a nice week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great presentation! Might just give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your flatbread looks good with the curry! Love how easy it is to make these breads.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I added a bit of tumeric, made them smaller , and ate them with cream dips.....delish

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this recipe, I was hungry for bread and didn’t feel like going anywhere, but I had the ingredients needed. I made some in Just a Few Minutes. It was delicious and everyone loved it..craving satisfied!!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...