Love is in the air.. it's that time of the year again where lovers celebrate St. Valentine's Day. Nothing is more romantic than something made from the heart, so say "I Love You" with this gorgeous dessert, Strawberry Delight.
A special dessert for your loved one this Valentine's Day
Will you be my Valentine? ;)
My favorite strawberries, the Korean variant are once again in season. I like these the best as they are sweet with a wonderful strawberry fragrance. This Strawberry Delight is a creation of mine, inspired by my loved ones (Hubby, Baby C and Baby D's) love for strawberries and cream. For a more elegant dessert, you can serve this in a wine glass. Or you can also use a highball glass.
The bottom layer is made of Savoiardi biscuits soaked in strawberry puree and milk. Then top with strawberry cream cheese and fresh strawberry slices and finally with some fresh whipped cream and chocolate chips. I guarantee your loved one will be loving it (and you) for a long long time :)
Red, the colour of love
A special dessert for Valentine's :)
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 20 minutes
For the strawberry puree
125g fresh strawberries
2 tbsp whipping cream
For the strawberry layer
125g fresh strawberries, sliced
1/2 tsp caster sugar
For the Savioardi layer
2 tbsp strawberry puree (from above)
6 Savoiardi biscuits
For the cream cheese layer
150g cream cheese, softened at room temperature
15g caster sugar
For the topping
100g whipping cream
1/2 tsp icing sugar
4 sprigs of mint
1. Using a hand blender, puree the fresh strawberries and whipping cream until smooth.
2. Measure out the milk, and add 2 tbsp of strawberry puree. Set aside (this is for soaking your Savoiardi biscuits in).
3. Place the cream cheese, 15g sugar and rest of the strawberry puree in a mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat until mixture is smooth.
4. Break each Savoiardi biscuits into 3. Soak them in the milk (from step 2) for several seconds, piece by piece. Place the biscuits in the glass to form the base. If serving in the wine glass, then layer the strawberries on the side (this will look prettier like this), then spoon in 3-4 tablespoons of strawberry cream cheese mixture (from step 3). Chill in fridge for 2 hours.
5. An alternative method of serving is using the old-fashioned glass. Place 3 pieces of biscuits as the base then spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of strawberry cream cheese (from Step 3), then layer with another 2 pieces of biscuit and topped with another tablespoon of strawberry cream. Finally, layer with thin slices of strawberries on top. Chill in fridge for 2 hours.
6. Using an electric whisk, beat the whipping cream with icing sugar and chill until required. Place in a piping bag with star nozzle.
7. Top the dessert with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate chips and mint sprigs.
The strawberry slices look like red hearts :)
Sibling love - sharing is caring
Happy Valentine's Day
*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 14 February 2013.