Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Unc Visits: DISH KL

The Unc was recently back in KL for a short break and one of the restaurants on his "to-try" list was DISH. Having read so many good things about it from my blog posts, he wanted to see for himself what the fuss was all about. After eating here last week, he finally understood why DISH was one of my favorite lunch spots. :) Oh and he concurred that the food here was FAB!

Perfect steak

Freshly baked bread


Chef Steve Allen prepared a special tasting menu for us, comprising of his current set lunch menu as well as certain items from the a la carte menu. We started off with tiny bites of avocado tempura with crab mayonnaise and apple dressing. This could be ordered from the a la carte menu, priced at RM38 for normal portion. This worked really well, the creamy avocado encased in a light and crisp tempura batter.



For starters, we enjoyed the Curried French Onion Soup, a soup packed full of flavour. Love the gruyere toast on top. This was followed swiftly with the Seared Tuna Nicoise, a very beautiful plate of salad with nicely seared tuna and also one of my favorite things from DISH, the crisp (yet runny) quail's egg. What a work of (food) art!




For mains, we started off with the kumquat glazed fillet of salmon with tiger prawns, bok choi and broccoli. I am not usually a fan of salmon but this was really good... cooked just right so the texture of the oily salmon fish was melt-in-the-mouth with a very crispy skin. The kumquat glaze was certainly interesting, making this a very appetizing dish. Then, we had the pumpkin risotto, a dish which looks deceptively simple but utterly delicious. It was served with toasted almonds and brown butter.


Pumpkin risotto

We also shared a gorgeous piece of grilled striploin served with mushroom duxelle as well as braised Wagyu beef cheek served with horseradish mashed potatoes and mushroom. The steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare, just the way we like it. I love the mushrooms too. Very very satisfying.








To round up our lovely meal, we enjoyed a trio of desserts - the chocolate salted caramel tart with macadamia, hazelnut parfait with caramelised banana and mint crème brulee with hazelnut shortbread and strawberry granite. My favorite was the rich chocolatey parfait, which I would happily eat all on my own :) Hubby liked the mint creme brulee, especially its hazelnut shortbread base.

Chocolate salted caramel tart with macadamia

Hazelnut parfait with caramelised banana 


Mint crème brulee with hazelnut shortbread and strawberry granite


Petit fours - chocolate truffles and profiteroles

Affogato


Cappucino

Pork-free.

Opening times: Lunch 12.00 - 2.30pm, Dinner 6.00 - 11.00pm.

Service: Good.

Parking: RM6 flat rate.

Price: RM65++ for 2-courses, RM75++ for 3-courses. Set lunch changes every 2 weeks.

Location: Dish, Dua Residency, Lot 1.1, Ground Floor, Dua Annexe, No. 211 Jalan Tun Razak, 50450 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: 03-2164 1286

GPS Coordinates: 3.156971, 101.720803

Website: http://dishfinedining.com/

37 comments:

  1. Food looks good - can work a bit on presentation though. Can be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah, how did you two eat so much desserts? Or maybe the portions were small. I love that they serve you generous sides with the steak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was 3 of us... but even so, there was a lot of food! Haha but I'm not nicknamed "hollow legs" for nothing. :P

      Delete
  3. The desserts look might fine indeed!...hehe =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I thought u would zoom in on the steak first!

      Delete
  4. We haven't been back to Dish for awhile, time to revisit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also need to go back again soon cos I have cravings yet again!

      Delete
  5. Looks really good! Got to put this on my try list for my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am such a desert fan..can have it all as my main course!! You are so lucky Yen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. woot woot! the steak looks really good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Food!! Won't mind going for this fine dining once awhile.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ambiance here is quite casual, so u can enjoy fine food dressed in yr jeans :)

      Delete
  9. I bet the UNC was impressed...I was impressed just from the photos! Must add that to my 'to-eat' list...which gets longer by the day :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yea, so many new restaurants popping up everyday. But this is one to move up the list.

      Delete
  10. It looks like you had a really good range of food there! Everything looks really good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. all the dish looks so good! should visit when I get a chance

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yoh, I like the avocado tempura and the chocolate salted caramel tart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, I think you would like this place very much cos their desserts are awesome.

      Delete
  13. I really want to lick the screen right now ! lol That wagyu beef simply look divine :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *system error* (computer screen overlicked) :P

      Delete
  14. Niceeee! This place is also listed in my to-go list!!!! Hehehe.. Would certainly visit this place in the year 2013!!;P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Yen... look at the edge-to-edge pink of the steak... excelente!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm full of envy when I see the words "special tasting menu"!! The salmon has such an Asian description..Great to see Asian influence go into a salmon..heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perks of being friends with the chef :D Chef Steve Allen is the best, I have to say!

      Delete
  17. The risotto is so small in portion >.<

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep drooling at Dish!! hopefully someone will be bring me there soon.... lol...

    dying to eat the beautiful steak there...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooo.. all my favourites.. and the lighting and photography is perfect:) Now u make me wanna have medium rare steak!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...