How hard can it be?
As it turns out not very. Armed with some fresh scallops and a few looks at Chef Ramsay's videos, I managed to churn out these beauties which looked and tasted spectacular. Perhaps it is the stress and pressure of having to serve a crowd in a fine dining restaurant and live up to Chef Ramsay's standards that caused those failures.
This recipe is great as a starter and you might well consider it for special occasions as it is easy to make and lip-smackingly good. Here's how my culinary experiment went!
Scallops on a bed of olives, tomatoes and herbs
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 - 10 minutes
3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8-10 cherry tomatoes
6-8 stalks green/French beans
A handful of herbs (I used parsley, thyme and basil)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
To cook the vegetables:
1. Halve the cherry tomatoes and slice the green beans into 1-inch long stalks.
2. Chop the herbs finely. I made do with whatever herbs I had on me, Chef Ramsay's recipe called for coriander and basil.
3. Put 2-3 tbps of olive oil into a pan and set to medium heat.
4. Add the tomatoes, olives and beans. Season the vegetables with some salt and pepper.
5. Keep aside while preparing scallops.
To prepare scallops:
1. Make sure that the pan is piping hot and put in some olive oil. Leave the olive oil to heat up for a bit before putting in the scallops.
2. Pat dry the scallops and season with salt and pepper. It is alright to put on a little bit more salt as it falls off during cooking. Season only 1 side as u can season the other side while cooking.
3. Place the scallops, seasoned side down, one at a time into the pan. You should hear a nice sizzle indicating that the pan is hot enough. This should nicely seal the juices in the scallop while creating a nice seared outer layer.
4. Season the upper side of the scallops while the other side is cooking. Let the scallops cook for about 1-2 minutes each side, depending on the size of the scallops. If you have a lemon, squeeze some juice onto the scallops as a finishing product to give it a nice zing.
5. Remove scallops and place onto a paper towel to remove access oil. Plate the scallops on the bed of garnish.
Ta-da! Excellent scallops that will leave you desiring for more...
Check out the size of the scallops.