Saturday, November 18, 2017

Super Big Don House大爆丼, Damansara Uptown

*Super Big Don House has closed down.

Seeing how much I love Japanese don, our friend took us to Damansara Uptown to check out Super Big Don House 大爆丼. As their name suggests, their menu is predominantly rice bowls (don) with various toppings such as raw seafood, beef, pork and more.

My favorite kind of don is one with raw seafood. You can choose from salmon, tuna chutoro, scallop, Hokkaido uni, and even lobster. I went for the Salmon Negitoro Tobiko Don (RM39) which comes with four types of seafood - salmon sashimi, negitoro, kani and tobiko.  The salmon sashimi was sliced fairly thickly, and was fresh and quite fatty, which I loveeeeee. Next to the sashimi are tobiko which adds a lovely texture to the rice bowl and shredded kani (crabstick) as well as pickles and cucumber. Finally, a large mound of negitoro, (which is chopped or blended fatty toro (tuna belly)) tops the rice bowl.




You can add on premium items to your rice bowl such as lobster (500g for RM48) and Hokkaido uni (RM50)




Delicious slices of salmon sashimi


As each rice bowl is served, the wait staff will explain to you how to best enjoy it. For mine, I was to first move the sashimi to a small side plate (to be eaten with wasabi and soy later). Then, I was to drizzle the rice with ample amounts of seafood soy sauce (blended in-house) and then mix it all up. I thoroughly enjoyed my rice bowl; the toppings were generous and most importantly fresh. All dons come with a bowl of miso soup.




Unagi lovers, I highly recommend the unagi don here (RM68). Hubby had this and was well-impressed with the thick, meaty slices of grilled eel in a sweet glaze. I usually avoid unagi as I find that they usually contain quite a lot of small bones but definitely no such problem here. I enjoyed the piece that I had. Again, portion is generous. For this, Hubby was instructed to remove the unagi to the side plate and mix in the egg yolk with the rice.




Our friend was intrigued by the pork don (RM48) which is depicted in the menu as a whole load of meat on a skewer, served standing upright in the rice bowl. Looks pretty cool (beef one is also served in the same manner) so she ordered this. The pork was a little dry on its own, but it does come with some garlicky sauce on the side. There was a whopping 400g of meat, so portions here are definitely big. Personally I prefer the seafood don over this.



Haha the actual item looks even more impressive!



Other than rice bowls, they also offer a few types of kushiage aka deep fried Japanese skewers. Our friend had this the last time and raved about the black truffle mayonnaise. There is a minimum order of 2 skewers, so we had the pork belly (RM6.90) and vertebral mushroom (RM3.90). I loved the mushroom skewer with the truffle mayo... so good!





Opening times: Lunch 12.00pm - 3.30pm; Dinner 6.00pm - 10.30pm.

Price: Total bill RM199.15 (all prices denoted above are prices before service charge and GST)

Location: 75, Ground Floor, Jalan SS21/1A, Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. (Street parking available or park at The Starling and walk over).

Tel: 03-7733 5996

GPS Coordinates: 3.134515, 101.620942



If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...