Japanese Chicken Curry
Japanese curry is made using curry roux blocks, which you can get in most supermarkets. I used the House brand Kokumaru sweet curry (Level 2 spiciness), which is available at Daiso or Shojikiya. The main ingredients in a Japanese curry are onions, potatoes, carrots and chicken, which are simmered before the curry roux is added. A pack of Japanese curry cubes contains 6 pieces, and is sufficient to make curry to feed 5-6 pax. Once the curry cubes are added, the curry sauce will thicken up nicely. I added in some shichimi and chilli flakes to amp up the taste.
Best compliment of the evening came from Hubby, who declared it as good as the Japanese curries you get in the restaurant. :)
Kids version of Japanese chicken curry :)
Hope you enjoy the recipe video that I made :) (watch in full screen here)
Japanese Chicken Curry チキンカレー
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
3 small onions, peeled and sliced thinly
2 small carrots, peeled and cubed
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 pack sweet Japanese curry cubes (6 pcs - 88g)
2-3 dashes Shichimi togarashi (optional)
1/8 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Boiled white rice
Hard boiled eggs (1 per person)
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add the onions and cook for 2 minutes until slightly softened.
2. Add potato and saute for a further minute, then add the chicken and brown the pieces, about 1 1/2 minutes.
Cooked it in my Le Creuset :)
3. Add water and carrots, then bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
4. Add the curry roux cubes, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Simmer for another 5 minutes, until curry has thicken.
5. Taste, and season with shichimi and chilli flakes, to your liking.
6. Serve immediately with rice and boiled eggs.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates.. Thanks :)