Baked curry puff (using puff pastry)
Curry puff is one of our favorite Malaysian snacks. It can either be deep fried or baked, and no prize for guessing which cooking method I went for. So, for the curry puff shell, we used store-bought frozen puff pastry. Using the Kawan brand square puff pastry, we rolled out each sheet, big enough to make 2 curry puffs each. The kids would then place a sheet of puff pastry over the crimper, and then fill one side with a tablespoonful of dry chicken curry with potato filling. Then, the crimper is folded over and pressed to crimp. And viola, homemade curry puffs! They are then baked in the oven for about 10-11 minutes until golden brown.
This was definitely a fun kitchen activity with the kids and we were very pleased with our homemade curry puffs. What made our puffs extra special is the fact that it is homemade with love :)
Watch this video on how to make curry puff using puff pastry - it's so easy! (watch in full screen here)
Oven-baked curry puff (using puff pastry)
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
5 no frozen 10x10cm square puff pastry
1/4 quantity of dry chicken curry with potatoes (see recipe here)
For the egg wash
1 tbsp milk
1. Allow frozen puff pastry to defrost at room temperature for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Dust some flour over the puff pastry. Using a rolling pin, roll the puff pastry until it is thinner and about 18-20cm in length (each sheet should make two curry puffs).
3. Place the puff pastry on the 9-cm curry puff crimper, then fill one side with 1 tablespoonful of curry chicken with potatoes. Bring the crimper together, and press to crimp. Remove excess pastry with your hands.
4. Remove the curry puff from the crimper and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat until all puff pastry is used up. Before placing in the oven, brush the puff shell with egg wash on both sides.
5. Preheat oven to 210°C (no fan). Bake in preheated oven for 10-11 minutes, until the curry puffs are golden brown. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates. Thanks :)