I usually try to find recipes which uses cup measurements as it's easier for the kids, but this time the recipe uses gram measurements, so kids also get a quick lesson in using the weighing scales. Not difficult - but kids need to know the progression of numbers to know when to stop piling on the ingredients.
This recipe is pretty easy and straightforward - just measure the ingredients and mix it all together. Rubbing in the margarine part is a bit messy but kids sure had fun doing it ("mummy look at my sticky fingers"). They also love rolling them into balls and then flattening them with their little fingers. Bake them until golden brown. Love the cracks on them ;)
They taste just like store-bought gingernuts, well done kids!
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Delia Smith Complete Cookery Course
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
110g self-raising flour
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
40g caster sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (no fan). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, ginger and baking soda into a bowl. Add the sugar, and mix well. Add the margarine, and using your fingers, lightly rub it in until the mixture is crumbly and resembles breadcrumbs. Add the syrup, and mix everything together until you get a stiff paste.
3. Divide the mixture into sixteen pieces, then roll each piece into a small ball. Place them on the baking tray, and flatten by pressing down gently using your fingers. Remember to leave plenty of room as they will spread out while cooking.
4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 10-15 minutes (I did mine for 13 minutes, and took them out when they're golden brown), it is normal for them to have spread out and cracked attractively. Cool on baking tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Enjoying his homemade baked goodies
* I am submitting this post to "Cook-Your-Books #23" hosted by Joyce .
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)