Saturday, November 29, 2014

Best Wings Recipe: Sticky Gula Melaka Glazed Chicken Wings

Let's end November with a fantastic recipe - sticky gula melaka glazed chicken wings! After experimenting with lots of different marinades, this is by far the best chicken wing recipe I've tried. If you love wings, you gotta try this!



What I like about this recipe is definitely the ease of making and availability of the ingredients. I have everything I need in my kitchen pantry, and all I need to do is measure it out and mix it in a bowl and pour it over the chicken wings. So easy! Plus it tastes really really really good.



Sweet, salty, sticky, juicy wings... absolutely glorious! Worth getting your hands dirty, and they're so good you'll wanna lick your fingers afterwards. Yup, finger licking good they are!

My kids absolutely adore these chicken wings - my boy surprised me the other day when he ate one after another wing and kept telling me how yummy it was. He likes to do this "tick" sign with his fingers as a sign of his seal of approval. We usually serve this with a side of salad to keep things simple.



This is a recipe so easy that you can even assign it to your children to make. Baby D made the ones we had a couple of weeks ago - from marinating to arranging them on the baking tray, as well as making the salad (I helped him pit and peel the avocado but he did everything else). I make this recipe at least once a month now as my family tells me "more of this, please" ;)



Sticky Gula Melaka Glazed Chicken Wings
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 1 minute
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
12 chicken wings, cleaned

For the marinade
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin or ginger wine
3 tbsp gula melaka (palm sugar) syrup or concentrate
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp shichimi powder
2 tbsp cooking oil



1. Place all marinade in a bowl, and mix well. Pour over the chicken wings and marinate for at least 6 hours in the fridge.

2. Preheat oven to 190C (roast mode). Line a baking tray with foil and arrange wings on tray in a single layer. Pour the marinade over the wings and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the meat is cooked through and the skin is sticky, and a beautiful golden brown.

3. Remove and serve immediately with some of the marinade leftover in tray as a dip.

Note: Gula melaka syrup is available in supermarkets- they usually come in a 500ml bottle, costing about RM5-7 depending on brand.






Avocado, lettuce and cherry tomatoes salad
For the salad
1 ripe avocado
1 baby butterhead lettuce
6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 lemon

For the dressing
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
Salt

1. To pit the avocado, first you need to find the stalk and remove it. Hold it horizontally, with a knife through the centre until you hit the seed then move the knife in a circular motion until you go all the away around. Twist the avocado halves in opposite direction and it will come apart easily into 2 halves. Sink the knife into the avocado seed and remove. Squeeze lemon juice all over to avoid discoloration. Chop the avocado into bite-sized chunks. Season with salt.

2. Place ingredients for dressing a bowl and whisk well to mix.

3. Place avocado, butterhead lettuce and cherry tomatoes into a salad bowl and then pour over dressing and toss. Season with more salt as necessary and serve immediately.


The wings and salad that Baby D made ;)



If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 5 December 2014.

12 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I don't mind getting my hands dirty for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! And I don't even like wings! You might be the one to change that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think gula melaka would make anything delicious! Wonder if I can get it in Sydney....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. There's a guy selling his - with our local palm sugar but he uses dark soy sauce, so his would be of a darker shade. Very nice, best in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also give this a big thumbs up and tick! Adding gula melaka is such a great idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. omigosh ... another item to put on your cafe menu! i think these wings would be sold out by the end of lunchtime everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! Never came across my mind to use hula Melaka to sweetened the meats...usually just Honey. Hmmm, I don't blame myself...I'm a Bee after all haha! Love those finger licking chicken wings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yen,

    This is a fantastic idea! I have not think of using gula Melaka to cook chicken wings... Now I know.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can imagine the taste. Yum...will certainly try out this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I use Gula Melaka (dissolved in water) instead of the bottled syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think better if you just finely grate the gula melaka and then add to the marinade and mix until dissolve ya.

      Delete
  11. This is like sweet and sticky chicken wings! NIce idea and I love it when kids want to help out in the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...