Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Recipe: Spaghetti with King Prawns, Ebikko and Rocket

"Mummy, can you please cook us pasta for lunch today?" said my two little ones.

Some days, my kids will make special food requests in the mornings and I will make it for them for lunch. I usually just have a rummage through my fridge/freezer to see what ingredients I have to cook with. Luckily for them that day, I had bacon, grey oyster mushrooms, king prawns, ebikko and rocket leaves. And thus this gorgeous pasta dish was born!

Spaghetti with king prawns, ebikko and rocket


My kids choice of pasta is always spaghetti, as they love slurping every strand with gusto. I had a good feeling that they would enjoy this as it combines all their favorite ingredients together. The bacon is first cooked, set aside and sprinkled just before serving so that it remains crispy. The bacon fat/oil is then used to saute the mushrooms and king prawns (can you imagine the yumminess yet?). Once the pasta is plated, ebikko (shrimp roe) is added - I really like the texture and slight saltiness it adds to the dish. And this time, I garnished the pasta dish with some rocket leaves instead of sweet basil, and it worked out really well in terms of flavour. You can finish off the dish with a drizzle of truffle oil or grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.


I am really happy with this dish, and more so when my kids told me that they loved it and asked for seconds. :) Quick, healthy and delicious.

By the way, 2 more days to our Gordon Ramsay "Cook Like a Star" event. Do join us by cooking your favorite Gordon Ramsay recipes :)



Spaghetti with king prawns, ebikko and rocket
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12-14 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients
150g spaghetti
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 streaky bacon, sliced
100g grey oyster mushroom, sliced
10 king prawns, peeled and deveined, with tails intact
2-4 tsp ebikko
15g rocket leaves, washed
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Optional topping
Truffle oil
Parmesan cheese


1. In a pot of salted water, cook the spaghetti pasta according to pack instructions, about 8-10 minutes until al dente. Remove from heat and drain, run under cold water to stop from cooking further.

2. Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in frying pan on medium high heat. Add bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes, until crispy and golden brown. Remove and set aside.

3. In the same pan, add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes until cooked. Add the king prawns and saute for about 30-45 seconds, until cooked, then add the cooked pasta, drizzle with remaining olive oil and mix thoroughly for about 1 minute, and then season with salt and pepper. Mix in the crispy bacon.

4. Using a two-pronged carving fork, swirl some of the pasta around the fork. Slide the pasta off the fork and mound it in the center of a plate. Repeat for each serving. Spoon 1-2 tsp of ebikko on top of each plate and garnish with rocket leaves. Drizzle with truffle oil and shave Parmesan cheese on top, as desired.






If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

14 comments:

  1. Lovely looking dish of pasta there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your kids are really fortunate to have a mom who cooks such lovely dishes! i like the vibrant and fresh-looking colours in this pasta :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Pastas! I just had lots of aglio olios lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spaghetti is my favourite pasta shape and fettucine my least favourite along with spirals but I love pappardelle. Isn't it funny what people prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My big kids always ask for spaghetti when they want food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do I get ebikko in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, I'm not sure. You can try my friend's online website: http://fishforsushi.com/collections/other-sushi-ingredients

      Delete
  7. Lovely. I like the extra touch of Ebiko, for the briny pops of seafood essence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yen,

    I really really think that your kids are very very lucky to have you being their mummy!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yen, I envy your kids :) And you are very generous with the ebiko!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...this paste dish looks super tempting !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the prawn and ebiko combination with the pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww...yummy. It reminds me I have not cook pasta for quite sometime. I miss pasta!!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...