French Toast with Whipped Cream, Strawberries and Caramel Sauce
French Toast with Bacon and Maple Syrup
While we were at the supermarket, Hubby saw some really nice thickly sliced white bread, and asked if I would like having French toast for breakfast? "You cooking?" I asked, to which he replied "Yes." We were contemplating whether to have bacon with our French toast or would strawberries be nicer? Why not both? Even better!
French toast is also known as eggy bread, whereby slices of bread is soaked in a mixture of eggs, milk and cinnamon and then fried on both sides until golden brown. We like frying them in butter for extra richness. They are crisp around the edges and slightly soft in the centre. For the savoury version, we had it with extra crispy bacon (oven-baked) with lots and lots of maple syrup.
The savoury French toast is delicious, however I did enjoy the sweet version more. Topped with fresh whipped cream, caramel sauce and strawberries (and maybe some maple syrup too), this was a real treat! I say, what a gorgeous way to start the day!
French Toast Two-Ways
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 thick slices white bread, 1" thick
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp salted butter
8 fresh strawberries, sliced
4 slices crispy streaky bacon
1. Using a fork, beat eggs, milk, and cinnamon together until well blended. Place in a shallow bowl/plate.
2. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture. We usually allow it to soak for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Place 1 piece of bread into the pan and fry for a few minutes until golden brown, then flip over and repeat for other side.
4. Place the French Toast on a plate. For the savoury version, top each bread with 2 slices of crispy bacon, then drizzle over lots of maple syrup.
5. For the sweet version, top with a quenelle of whipped cream, strawberries, caramel sauce and maple syrup (if using). Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (June 2014: Butter) hosted by Jozelyn of Spice Up My Kitchen.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)