Saturday, January 11, 2014

Recipe: Scrambled Eggs with Scottish Smoked Salmon Crostini

It is our tradition to serve eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast on Christmas Day morning. Last year, we discovered premium Scottish smoked salmon in KL, so now that's the obvious choice for us.

Scrambled Eggs with Scottish Smoked Salmon Crostini


First, prepare the cucumber yogurt salad simply by mixing the ingredients together. Our favorite scrambled eggs method is still Gordon Ramsay's though after reading quite a few chefs cookbooks, we concluded that they use similar methods. This time, I replaced the creme fraiche with yogurt for the eggs since we had that. In case you are wondering why there are so many yogurt recipes on my blog lately, I was developing them for a blogger challenge for Nestle yogurt I was participating in.


John Ross Jr (Aberdeen) Scottish Whisky Smoked Salmon + Lescure Camembert


Along with the scrambled eggs, I served some smoked salmon crostini. Crostini is an Italian appetizer, similar to bruschetta consisting of a small sliced of toasted or grilled bread with toppings. You can use baguette or any good quality rustic bread. We made two versions - one with smoked salmon and cucumber yogurt, and another with smoked salmon and Camembert cheese. Both were good ;)








Scrambled Eggs with Scottish Smoked Salmon, Camembert & Cucumber Yogurt Salad
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves 2


Ingredients
For the scrambled eggs
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp cold butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp Nestle Natural Set Yogurt
Dill, for garnish

For the cucumber yogurt salad
1/2 Japanese cucumber, finely chopped
50g Nestle Natural Set Yogurt
1/4 lemon, juice only
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
A handful fresh dill, finely chopped
Salt, to taste

For the crostini
100g Scottish smoked salmon
4 thick slices walnut and raisin loaf, lightly toasted
30g Camembert cheese, cut into 2 wedges
Extra virgin olive oil, to spread


1. For the cucumber yogurt salad: Place yogurt, lemon juice, and shallot in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt, then add the dill and cucumber and mix until well combined. Set aside.

2. For the scrambled eggs: Break the eggs into a cold, heavy-based frying pan and add half the butter. Over medium low heat, stir the eggs to combine the yolk with the white with a spatula. Keep stirring (as you would when cooking a risotto - do not stop stirring).

3. Add the remaining butter as the mixture begins to set. Do not let it get too hot, you will need to move the pan on and off the heat - about 2-3 times. The eggs will take about 3-4 minutes to cook.

4. Add the yogurt (it brings the temp of the eggs down hence stops the cooking process via residual heat) and season the eggs with salt and pepper. Serve immediately and garnish with a sprig of fresh dill.

5.Spread the slices of bread with a little olive oil. On each plate, place 1 slice of bread and top with smoked salmon and camembert cheese. Place the cucumber yogurt salad in the centre and scrambled eggs on another side. Serve immediately.



6. For the remaining 2 slices of bread, you can serve them on the side - bread, followed by smoked salmon and topped with the cucumber yogurt salad and dill.


This is similar to the canape version that we made.

I am submitting this to the "Baby Sumo's Christmas Recipes Collection 2013" event which I am hosting. You can link your recipes here.

I am also linking this to the Little Thumbs up "Cheese" event organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids andDoreen from My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Alice from I Love.I Cook.I Bake. You can link your posts here.

If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

11 comments:

  1. My scrambled egg method is also Gordon Ramsay and I've stick to his ever since. I always omit the creme fraiche at the end as I always don't have them on hand, will substitute with yogurt in the future! The yogurt challenge sounds interesting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and delicious... yum yum. The crostini looks so attractive too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely yet healthy breakfast dish! Love all your photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your photos are tantalizing. This is a beautiful, (and I am sure scrumptious), healthy breakfast dish. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe it's breakfast time now and I'd LOVE this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen, I'd love these for breakfast:D so healthy and fresh, great with a cuppa:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh, this would be a great entry into a thick, glossy, coffee-table cookbook! beautiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Yen, all of these made me drooling, particularly the toast with smoked salmon and camembert!
    I never cook scrambled egg this way, I should try!
    thks for linking this up at LTU cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yen,

    Your scrambled eggs look very nice but too little for me... I will need two plates, please!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds lovely, my mum loves this, so will share with her, thanks for sharing...

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...