Monday, January 7, 2013

Recipe: Shunde Sweetened Fresh Milk Pudding (Chinese Dessert)

Last weekend, we finally took down the Christmas decorations in our house but soon it will be time to put up the Chinese New Year (CNY) ones. With CNY fast approaching, I'd like to share a few Chinese recipes with you all. 

I first read about Shunde cuisine from Flavours magazine. From the magazine, I learnt that Shunde province located at the mouth of the Pearl River in Guangdong, Southern China, is famous for simple, homestyle dishes that represent the best of Cantonese cooking. The region is also famous for its dairy-based dishes such as sauteed fresh milk and sweetened milk pudding. The latter is a creamy and wobbly dessert that uses ginger juice to coagulate the fresh milk.

Shunde sweetened fresh milk pudding


This was relatively simple to make. The most time consuming part was to grate the ginger and strain the juice. The original recipe recommends the use of Bentong ginger which is said to be much more fragrant.This has quite a strong gingery taste, which suits our tastebuds since we love ginger. The original recipe calls for 45g sugar (for 4 servings), the second time I made it with only 25g sugar and it was sweet enough. I like the texture of it, which resembles tau fu fah (beancurd dessert). It is simply amazing to see the milk coagulating into a smooth curd in a matter of minutes when mixed with the ginger juice.


Smooth, wobbly texture


Shunde Sweetened Fresh Milk Pudding (Dessert)
Recipe adapted from Flavours Magazine
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
750ml fresh milk
80g full-cream milk powder
45g caster sugar (or you can reduce it to 25g)
80g fresh ginger juice, strained

1. Firstly, finely grate the ginger (about 4 inches - I used old ginger). Then squeeze the juice out into a small bowl, then strain, ready for use. Divide the ginger juice equally into each dessert bowl/ramekin (20g each).



2. In a medium saucepan, place the fresh milk, milk powder and sugar. Stir to mix and cook over low heat until the mixture reaches a temperature of 80C. Give the mixture a stir every 1-2 minute.

3. Divide the hot milk among the bowls (about 180ml each).

4. Set aside without stirring for 5-10 minutes to allow it to set into a smooth curd.





30 comments:

  1. Ooo...looks good...better than the Jikasei Milk Pudding at Watami?...hehe =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent tried that before so cannot comment. But this is pretty good :)

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I think I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple but so yummy! Can you buy Ginger juice or do you have to strain it...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should use fresh ginger juice for this. You can use a juice extractor or blender which will be much quicker.

      Delete
  4. We had this in Hong Kong and hubby loved it for the ginger flavour! Thank you so much for the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, i wonder if this might taste like creme brulee but without a caramelized crust, heh :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen, wow, this looks really good! Love how smooth and wobbly it is :) By the way, just to let you know I've moved my blog (after much consideration). The new URL is: www.eatapieceofcake.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, will add your new blog to my blogroll! :)

      Delete
  7. I think I can officiate my ramekin because I am still looking for a simple dessert. I think I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yen! Thanks for sharing this. I love ginger and I like pudding. So this is the perfect recipe for me!

    Going to make this soon... in my creme brulee ramekins.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice. it looks so soft and smooth..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, great for ppl who like ginger in their desserts.

      Delete
  10. I ate this in Guangzhou before.Its called 'Nanxin Shuang Pi Nai 南信双皮奶'!

    Can I check with you. how do you measure the temperature if you do not have a thermometer?

    ps: I think its amazing, this dessert involves chemistry! A natural reaction b/w milk and ginger juice tt causes it to become semi solid! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the last few times I made this, I used a food thermometer. I will try it the next time without a thermometer and provide a general guidance.

      Delete
    2. thanks!! looking forward to tt post!

      Delete
  11. We had something similar in Macau, Mr Mah loves that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should make this for him.. maybe on Valentine's Day! Haha.

      Delete
  12. Wow I'm not a big fan of ginger, but sounds like you tweaked it to make the ginger flavour even stronger! :D CNY dinner at your place this year? hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew ginger could coagulate milk before this, pretty amazing! My son likes this dessert but not my daughter. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. :P

      Delete
  13. Haha, I thought what is Shunde when I saw yuu post in FB until I read it here >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha dont we all learn something new everyday!

      Delete
  14. Love this ! Sort of like a ginger tau fu fa !

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds so very lovely and easy...love the heart shaped ramekin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...