Friday, October 12, 2012

Steak Trilogy @ Prime, Le Meridien KL

Last year, we got ourselves a Starwood card so that we could try all the different restaurants under the Starwood brand. It worked out pretty well for us, since everytime we dined out, we got 50% off (for 2 diners). We got to try many restaurants but our favorite one has to be Prime in Le Meridien KL. Hubby often comments that we got this card specially for Prime, since we've been there at least 10 times in the last year. 

On the day our Starwood card was due to expire, we purposely went to Prime so that we could have one last meal there at 50% off :P This will be a long post, since it combines 3 previous visits to Prime, so be prepared for steaks, steaks and more steaks (and maybe scallops too). 

My fav scallops starter


Waiting area in Prime


Complimentary bread .. one of our favorites (we always have to fight the urge from overindulging)


I have the scallops starter at Prime so often, that I don't even need to tell them (the chefs) my order. Over the last year, we have gotten to know sous chef of Prime, Chef Nur, so he always comes out to greet us when we arrive at the restaurant. And he always asks me "scallops for you, today?". It makes me laugh, am I really that predictable? But I have to say the seared sea scallops (RM55), served with Parmesan potato, poached egg and fresh herbs dressing is fantastic. I always recommend this to all my friends, and those who have tried it all love it!

Hubby wanted to try something different, so Chef Nur recommended the Prime Composed Salad (RM40). Hubby enjoyed this salad very much, which is made up of iceberg lettuce, baby spinach, radicchio, mushrooms, green olive tapenade, soft boiled eggs, heart of palm, croutons, blue cheese, lemon basil dressing and crispy onions with beef strips. Ooo the egg was so runny and beautifully cooked!


Prime Composed Salad

With lots of stinky blue cheese!


Runny egg


Another photo of my seared sea scallop (and if I'm right, the poached egg is cooked using the cling film method. :P)


My favorite cut at Prime is definitely the Master Kobe Oyster Blade (RM130 for 220g), done medium rare or medium depending on my mood. With a marble score of 9, the meat is so tender and juicy. I really miss eating this!



Hubby had the Australian certified Wagyu beef/Kobe style (with marble score 6 and above). He had the rib eye, which came in 12oz (340g) slab for RM360. It was pretty good, but we both agreed that the oyster blade that I had was better, for a fraction of the price. Btw, we were served  fleur de sel (salt) to accompany our steaks, courtesy of Chef Antoine. Nowadays, that's how we love eating our steaks, naked with a sprinkling of salt or some Dijon mustard. Brings out all the wonderful flavours of the steak.

Wagyu beef/Kobe style ribeye


Our usual accompaniment of truffle mash (RM15)

Two scoops of ice cream (RM8 per scoop)



Second visit, same bread, different butter. My favorite one is still the salted butter.


View of the open kitchen


Orchid


If you guessed that this plate of scallops was my order, then you are wrong! Hehe I'm not so predictable afterall. This was Hubby's order, since I saw something new on the menu that piqued my interest.. foie gras!

Hubby's seared sea scallops (RM55)

So what did Baby Sumo have instead? 


I had the pan fried foie gras (RM75), served on a toasted raisin brioche, poached Fuji apple, micro green and balsamic reduction. Sadly, this was quite disappointing (should have stuck with the scallops :(). The brioche was too crunchy, then apples were not soft enough, the foie gras was quite a small piece and the micro greens.. hmm what micro greens?




Hubby decided to try another cut today, this time he went for an affordable cut - the Australian Black Angus Gourmet Pasture Fed ribeye steak (RM110 for 340g). For the price we paid, we felt that this was extremely good value for money (in terms of size and also flavour). Since it is grass fed rather than grain fed, the meat has a bit more resistance, which is what Hubby likes and it has a ton more flavour too.



I stuck to my usual Master Kobe Oyster Blade steak (RM130), excellent as always.



Dessert platter, compliments of Chef Antoine

The moist carrot cake (RM30) was served with a black sesame ice cream - this was really good. I also enjoyed the watermelon lime sorbet, as it is very refreshing.

Photo with Chef Antoine at An Xiaotong alley (since we bumped into him there again)

On our final visit to Prime in this trilogy, we joined forces and tackled the 1kg Wagyu Prime Rib (RM480 per kg) since I've always wanted to try this. Chef Nur suggests that the prime rib is cooked to medium rare, for maximum enjoyment. Usually this is served with Idaho steak fries potato but we requested for our usual truffle mash to go with it.

Love this gorgeous light made of wine glasses



Resisting the bread

The prime rib was fabulous! We both enjoyed it very much, the meat was so tender and juicy. When the meat arrived at our table, we wondered if we could finish it, however we triumphed no problems at all since we're both meat lovers and the meat was just too good to resist. I am so happy I got to try this. The mushroom fricasee served with it was also very nice.



Bloody marvellous 



Good job TEAM SUMO! :P
(P.S. Don't worry, Hubby chewed the last pieces of meat from the bone... absolutely none went to waste)


Watermelon lime sorbet

And we still managed to finish the Crepe Suzette (RM30), served with vanilla ice cream. We left with happy tummies. :)


For full menu, please click here. Full set of photos can be viewed on my Facebook page here. 

Pork-free.

Opening times: Monday to Friday: 12.00pm to 2.30pm (Lunch); Monday to Sunday: 6.30pm to 11.00pm (Dinner)

Service: Good.

Price: Please refer to individual dishes for pricing. All meals paid for by us.

Location: Prime, 5th Floor, Le Méridien Kuala Lumpur, 2 Jalan Stesen Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Directly opposite KL Sentral station and next to KL Hilton)

Tel: 03- 2263 7555

Parking: RM8 for the first 2 hours, RM5 for every subsequent hour.

GPS Coordinates: 3.135685, 101.686524

Website: http://www.lemeridiendining.com.my

Note: For those who do not have the Starwood Privilege card, you can apply for Starwood Preferred Guests card for FREE and enjoy 15% off when dining at Prime. Can be used at other Starwood restaurants too. See this website here.

51 comments:

  1. A friend who is a steak lover is coming to visit us next month, we are thinking to bring him to Prime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice, I think Prime is one of the best places for steaks in KL. :) Rmbr to apply for the SPG card for free ya.

      Delete
  2. Yen can eat! ;D all the bloody stuffs doesn't turn me on..... ;P But I don't mind trying..
    I never had 'good steak' before, that's why I have totally NO CRAVINGS for steak I guess.. ;P shall try this one day( for sure), and surely will order your fave scallop tooo!!!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm not called Baby Sumo for nothing :P (ferocious appetite!) I think you will love the steaks here, it's really good. But need to find the right cut... if you like tender, then go for the Master Kobe Oyster Blade which is very affordable. :)

      Delete
  3. The scallop and steak looks sooooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, kind of miss eating it! Maybe go again soon :P

      Delete
  4. wah...the steak is making my mouth water non-stop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe which one? Do you want them ALL?

      Delete
    2. yes please!! Would you believe my hubster is not a fan of steaks? He says it's too much meat on one plate. Meh!!

      Delete
  5. I love the trilogy. was there a prequel.. and will there be a sequel?! mwuahaha !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course there was a prequel and there will definitely be a sequel! Addicted to Prime!!

      Delete
  6. Seared sea scallops look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must have ordered it almost every trip, except the foie gras time.

      Delete
  7. They all look so good...and oooo...that moist carrot cake must be really heavenly. I'd like that very much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all very good indeed, we always leave Prime feeling very satisfied.

      Delete
  8. I don't eat steak! But I can go for the scallops :P By the way, I love all the recipes you shared lately - soft boiled eggs. oreo cupcakes, steamed fish.. Yum yum! Thank you! >3<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey! Hope u can practice those recipes when u get your kitchen, I would love to read it on ur blog. :)

      Delete
  9. Prime is awesome... I was there recently too!

    I also had the scallops... and it was truly fabulous... how come I saw plate of 3 and plate of 5 scallops? Mine had 5... phew... :P

    I also tried to order the Master Kobe Oyster Blade but they ran out that day so I had Ribeye instead... so dissappointed but then now I have another excuse to go back...muahaha

    Fabulous place for awesome beef... and the sides are as good too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you are so observant. Yeah every trip we would get 5-6 scallops, then we got 3 during that trip. We questioned the kitchen and they say it's according to the weight. I suggested to them maybe next time they can put 1 big and 3-4 small ones, cos customer's perception is more is better value for money.

      And yes, u most certainly have to try the Master Kobe Oyster Blade, it's so tender. I have recommended this to several friends and they all love this cut too. Plus the price is soooo affordable.

      Delete
  10. I had no idea your addiction to scallops was so developed ;P You guys certainly made the most of your Starwood card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh makes us wonder if we should get it again next yr!

      Delete
  11. Would it be wrong if I just ordered scallops and carrot cake in a steak house? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha as long as you enjoy the food! But you may be tempted to steal your Hubby's steak cos it would be mouthwatering, I guarantee.

      Delete
  12. Ooo...seared scallops with runny egg...yummy! =)

    As advised, will attack the Master Kobe Oyster Blade and also the resistant Pasture Fed Ribeye...not during the same visit though...hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faster go try lah, then tell me if you like it.

      Delete
  13. it's great that both you and your husband are great lovers of steak! a marriage match made in heaven, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! And now we have 2 kids who love food as much as us too! :P

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Heheheh looks like the scallops has lots of new fans now. :)

      Delete
  15. You are absolutely right about the food at Prime. Always delightful especially the steaks and scallops.. You're now giving me scallops cravings again....aaargh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh have you been? I want to read your blogpost on it too.

      Delete
  16. Nice and simple rustic and inviting…Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a good piece of steak doesn't need much to taste great!

      Delete
  17. I'm eating some bread while checking our your post ! tsk tsk Poor me ! lol The food looks amazing ! Let's not forget the ice cream and the sorbet ! hee hee I love that spoon bowl :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yeah, I love the spoon bowl too. Looks so cool! Would buy one if I saw it in the shops.

      Delete
  18. Yen, that was a lot of times really you guys have been visiting this restaurant. Their desserts look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah! Make full use of our Starwood card. :P

      Delete
  19. How to apply a Starwood card, is there any requirement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brendon, sorry for the late response. You can email them at kualalumpur@starwoodprivilege.com, there is no requirement, just need to pay annual fees - if I'm not mistaken it's around RM620.

      Delete
  20. Sigh..maybe we should have tried Prime instead of Prego - hubby had the angus rib eye and it was a disappointment, tough like shoe leather..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAH really? I havent tried the steaks at Prego before. Prime has a lot of good steak cuts.

      Delete
  21. Visited Prime Le Meridien & ordered the 1kg Wagyu Prime Rib.

    Despite being called the SIGNATURE dish, the meat wasn't tender. No "melt in your mouth" effect.

    It is a big dissapointment.

    It is not worth the RM480 at all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Baby Sumo,

    Since you have visited Prime numerous times, may I know how was your 1kg Wagyu Prime Rib at Prime?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen Nee, the last time we had the Prime Rib there was last year. Our experience was good, the meat was tender. I think if you want the "melt in your mouth" feel, it will be better if u go for the Blackmore. Can I ask what doneness did you ask for your prime rib to be?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi Baby Sumo,

      I was advise by the waiter to cook it at "medium". Am dissapointed as it was advised by the waiter to cook it it that doneness.

      The 1kg Wagyu Prime Rib was lousy. Isn't worthy for that price charged - RM480.

      Comparing all the steak you had in Prime, how do you rate the 1kg Wagyu Prime Rib?

      Delete
    4. We had ours medium rare and I thought it was very good. My fav cut at Prime however is still the Master Kobe oyster blade cos it is much more tender.

      Delete
  23. Beside steaks,

    What else can you recommend? Hehehe

    Celebrating my anniversary, hoping to bring my partner to special place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the highlight here at Prime is definitely the steaks. I also like their scallop starter. You can check out their menu here before you visit: http://www.discoverlemeridien.com/menus/prime/prime-dinner.pdf

      Delete
  24. hi.. enjoyed reading your blog. I was in Prime few days ago, but not really enjoying the experience, given the price we paid. Would like to order the scallop, but they don't have it.. but that's ok. I ordered the master kobe blade steak as it looks really good here, and with good review. But it came out very thick & chunky cut, can't see any marblings except full of nerves... and it was served not hot, hence really hard to eat, didn't manage to eat even half. The creme brulee is good thou...

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...