Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lunch @ Iggy's, Singapore

Dining at Iggy's Singapore has been on my wish list for some time. During our last trip to Singapore, Hubby made it happen for me. :) 

Iggy's is named after its founder, award-winning sommelier and respected restaurateur Ignatius Chan. The restaurant has won numerous (impressive) awards such as the best restaurant in Asia, according to The Miele Guide 2011/2012. It is also the best restaurant in Asia according to the prestigious S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants, coming in at no.26 this year.  These two awards have got me excited about our lunch at Iggy's.





No.1 in Asia, according to The Miele Guide


Iggy's is an intimate restaurant which only seats 40 pax. It is located in The Hilton Hotel on Orchard Road.  Because it is a small yet popular restaurant, it is necessary to make advance bookings and secure it with your credit card details.

The restaurant's interior is designed by celebrated designer Chris Lee of Asylum Creative. I like it, the ambiance is very romantic and classy. Service in general was good, however we got the impression that one of the staff assigned to us was a trainee as she failed several times to identify items on our plate when we asked for clarification. Her superior had to step in a couple of times to answer our questions.




Pretty orchids at the table

Yay! Baby Sumo finally at Iggy's Singapore ;)


The owner, Iggy's was a former sommelier so for his own restaurant, he had a wine specially created in collaboration with a winery in Australia (if I remember rightly), so Hubby had a glass of that to go with our lunch. We both went for the 4-course set lunch which is priced at S$85++ per person. According to the wait staff, only 1 or 2 items from the menu are changed per month.

2009 Iggy's Pinot Noir (S$30)


My lunch date :)

To start, we were presented this amuse bouche called "Nasi Lemak"... Hubby and I thought it was quite funny that we came all the way to Singapore to be served one of Malaysia's national dishes. Anyway this is a unique take on nasi lemak, with fish mousse at the bottom layer, pandan and lemongrass foam and topped with crunchy coconut rice with whitebait puffs. The taste certainly reminded me of nasi lemak and the contrasting flavours and textures was interesting and fun.


Iggy's take on Nasi lemak 



A few types of bread were offered to us throughout the meal. The foccacia was good but the sourdough one was too chewy for my liking.

Complimentary bread




Our table had a view of the semi-open kitchen. Hubby was particularly impressed with a gimmick installed in the restaurant serving area, which is a bit James Bond-like. The door to the kitchen was mechanical sliding doors made of hi-tech glass, the type which can be made clear or opaque at the press of a button.One minute we had a clear view of the kitchen, and another minute all we could see was frosted glass. It was quite fun watching all the action in the kitchen, when they allowed us and certainly a conversation piece for us.


Head Chef Akmal Anuar at work

Open sesame!


For each course, there are 3 choices. For the first course, I ordered the foie gras without hesitation. This was the best course I had during this lunch. The presentation was simple, but pretty enough. The foie gras was quite a reasonable portion and was complemented well by the sweet figs and crème de cassis (blackcurrant), and given texture by the hazelnut.


Foie gras | fig | hazelnut | crème de cassis



Hubby went for the pappardelle, which turns out to be made from wagyu beef and bell pepper to resemble pappardelle (the broad fettuccine). The pomegranate added a nice texture. This was a refreshing, light dish. Happy with our choices so far.

Pappardelle | Wagyu | bell pepper | pomegranate


My second course of "Egg" was served in a Staub cocotte. The egg was perfectly cooked, however the flavours did not really wow me. I guess this is breakfast served fine dining style, with runny egg, mushroom, potato and bacon.  I regretted not ordering the capellini with sakura ebi and kombu, which I later learnt was one of their "signature dishes".

Egg | mushroom | potato | bacon | Pinot Noir




Hubby's gnocchi was prettier in terms of presentation and much nicer tasting too. The gnocchi was served with lamb belly chunks, and fava beans (puree and whole) as well as crispy lamb bacon. Lamb bacon is actually pretty tasty!

Gnocchi | lamb belly | fava beans | lamb bacon

For mains, I had the lamb, which was pink, juicy and tender. It was perfectly cooked! This dish seems like a fusion between Western, Japanese and Indian flavours. I say this cos there is grilled nasu (a small Japanese eggplant which at first I thought was a small green chilli) and raita (an Indian cucumber and mint condiment). There was a pungent garlic puree which I didn't really touch.

Lamb | nasu | garlic | raita


Hubby had the duck, which was served with white sesame, cumin and carrot. The duck was also nicely cooked, with nice melting fat layers (almost tasting like bacon).

Duck| white sesame | cumin | carrot

For me, dessert was the most disappointing course. It didn't look like much (unless you like snow very much) and didn't taste like much either. There wasn't really any distinctive flavours here. I really didn't get this one.

Peach | yoghurt | elderflower | Spanish onion


Hubby's dessert was a whole different story. Called kaya & teh tarik, it was absolutely delicious! Ironically, these make up two popular dishes in Malaysia. The thick, soft brioche French toast had a wonderful caramelised extrior. It was served with a coconut and pandan spread as well as a bittersweet teh tarik ice cream (together with the foam as well!). This one deserves two thumbs up from us.

Kaya & teh tarik | brioche French toast | coconut | pandan



Sadly, no coffee/tea or petit fours is included in the set lunch here. But I did get a signed menu from all the kitchen staff ;)


Verdict: While most of the dishes were competently prepared, it did not really have the wow factor we were expecting. Were our expectations too high, since this has afterall been named so many times as the best restaurant in Asia?

Full set of photos, including set lunch menu can be viewed on my Facebook page here.

Opening times: Mon-Fri 12pm - 1.30pm (lunch); Mon-Sat 7pm - 9.30pm (dinner). Closed on Sundays and selected public holidays.

Service: Good.

Price: Set lunch S$85 per person. Total bill S$235.

Location: Iggy's, Level 3, Hilton Singapore, 581 Orchard Road, Singapore 238883.

Tel: +65 6732 2234

Website: http://iggys.com.sg/

Nearest MRT: Orchard

29 comments:

  1. Hahaha...the nasi lemak gelato at Cielo looks more authentic than this version lar! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this one also not gelato. It's quite unique lah.

      Delete
  2. I have heard so much about this place, it's a pity that it didn't give you the wow factor =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, it was still a great meal and great experience. I was just expecting more, since its so highly rated.

      Delete
  3. i find that most places only impresses when theres no expectation..obviously can't tell how the food tasted but looks pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food was pretty good, but we went to Jaan the following day and we both thought the food, ambiance and service there was much better.
      http://goodyfoodies.blogspot.com/2012/09/jaan-swissotel-stamford-singapore.html

      Delete
  4. I read abt this place in the Miele Guide.. :)

    very lovely lunch... foie gras and pink lamb caught my eyes... wait a min.. onion in a dessert??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just a tiny sliver of onion in the dessert. The taste was quite mild.

      Am glad that I finally got to try Iggy's ;)

      Delete
  5. That picture of the lamb is making me salivate right now - so pink and juicy looking! Had a good laugh after I scrolled down to the picture after reading your snow comment; sounds like such a let down though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think overall I had a good meal, but the dessert wasn't a great choice for me. I'm sure there are plenty who have tried it and liked it, cos I noticed it's on their degustation menu too. The lamb was definitely good!

      Delete
  6. I will order the foie gras for sure too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is on my wish-list to visit someday too! and i gotta say, that's the prettiest pappardelle preparation i've ever looked at :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am so happy I got to visit! It's been on my wish list for quite some time now. Someone mentioned to me that I shd have gone for the Gastronomic menu.. but that's S$275++ per person! Hehe maybe when there's a special ocassion ;)

      Delete
  8. The owner's name is Ignatius? Food looks exquisite...love the floral table centrepiece - certainly makes a place classier, having natural flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe wouldn't expect any less from the best restaurant in Asia :)

      Delete
  9. When are the Miele Guide results announced ? I'd be interested to see the most up to date listings ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to go, I want to go but hoh, how to go with 2 monkey kids?Hai! Love the food! $85 is very, very cheap considering that it is the best restaurant in Asia! In Sydney, we pay more than this price to dine in a normal restaurant. One of the best known restaurant in Sydney, Tetsuya, also named after the chef-owner charges like aud$250pp for don't know how many course degustation.Envy envy Yen can try this restaurant!Very pretty dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I am grateful that my Hubby always brings me to all these nice restaurants that I like. They also have a gastronomic menu here for S$275, my friends tell me I shd have tried that!

      Delete
  11. That door is interesting indeed... now that you said its not that fantastic, I guess I won't go and spend that money here....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, the food here is pretty great and we had an enjoyable lunch. But we just had very high expectations seeing it is best in Asia.

      I rmbr when we were in London, and we went to several Michelin restaurants, I expected the 2-Michelin ones to be a lot better than the 1 star ones, and when the food was the same, I was like "Huh what's the difference?", but it was still great (but we just had higher expectations).

      Delete
  12. Ooh thank you so much for this review! We missed out on going to Iggy's the last time we were in Singapore and I was really curious to see what the food and the interior were like! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a great experience for us! Have been wanting to come here for ages too.

      Delete
  13. Hi Yen,

    Everything looks so lovely in this dinner. Wish that I can dine in this place too. Got to show my husband your post and hopefully that he will get the hint :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe *waves at Zoe's husband* Please bring Zoe here, she deserves a lovely treat!

      Delete
  14. That is really nice and easy! My son would enjoy this!
    best bar to watch sports

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...