Sunday, October 21, 2012

Brunch @ Din Tai Fung, The Gardens Mall, KL

I was craving for some good xiao long bao, hence lunch last weekend was at Din Tai Fung in The Gardens Mall. We arrived at the restaurant just after they opened, and the restaurant was already half full. The business here is ALWAYS good. 

These xiao long bao are my personal favorites - the skin is translucent and each dumpling is perfectly formed. Our kids love poking the dumplings, slurping the soup before attempting to put the whole dumpling in their mouth! ;P


Xiao long bao (RM12.30 for 8pcs)

Julienned ginger with vinegar and soy sauce for the xiao long bao


Kids got their cutlery set, and are ready to eat!

We tried two types of la mian (pulled noodles), the hot & sour soup la mian (RM13) and the pork chop la mian (RM15.50). I really enjoyed the hot & sour soup one, as it was very appetizing and had a nice kick to it. Our kids shared the other la mian, they liked the noodles and soup.



Nice, springy noodles

The spicy vegetable pork wantan (RM9) was very delicious too, with a generous amount of filling and smooth skin. The spicy sauce complements it well. 

Last few times I came with my friends, we tried ordering the Taiwanese century egg (RM4.30) but they've always run out. Luckily, this time we got to savour this. It is one of my favorite things to eat at DTF.


We also love the Golden Pumpkin with Salted Egg (RM11.80). I remember that they used to serve this in a smaller version last time. As much as I liked this, the portion was too big for 3 pax to share, esp with our other orders as this is quite a rich and filling dish.


For dessert, some mini yam paste buns (RM6.30) for our kiddies. Soft fluffy buns, with smooth filling which our kids love.



Nice outing ;)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!



Read our other reviews here, here and here.


Opening times: 10am to 10pm daily.

Location: Din Tai Fung, Lot LG-207, Lower Ground Floor, The Gardens, Mid Valley City, Lingkaran Syed Putra, 59200 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: 03-2283 2292

Website: http://www.dintaifungmalaysia.com

28 comments:

  1. Oooo...the perfect century eggs - translucent!!! Slurpssss!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very popular in Singapore too...long queues everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they have lots of chairs for those waiting to get served. Usually we go early to avoid the queues.

      Delete
  3. I think my taste buds doesn't remember these food anymore ! lol Another visit will rekindle it ! :D Gorgeous photos , Yen !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Anne! I think my tastebuds need a reminder soon too :P

      Delete
  4. It is said b4 a perfect Xiao Lung Bao has 38 folds, walau, too many filds for me, hahaha! They look great! DTF has few branches in Sydney & besides DTF, there are also other similar restaurants that sells cheaper food so normally we just gao dim at one that calls "Shanghai Taste" & all their biz are really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In KL, a lot of the dim sum restaurants and even hotel try to make XLB, but so far not many make very successful ones. Usually the skin too thick. Pricing is almost same also, so I might as well eat the ones at DTF cos guaranteed nice.

      Delete
  5. RM1.50+ per xiao loong bao feels pretty reasonable hor. i'll always remember my first encounter with XLB. it seems like at least eight or nine years ago, at crystal jade in lot 10. love at first bite, love at first slurp! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah considering it takes so much skill to make them.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, this sounds rich and absolutely delicious! i love dumplings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like their mustard veg la mian....very nice flavours and their XLB is d best in tbadminton

    The salted egg pumpkin I tasted better at 988...a resto behind the shophouses opposite the Cheras badminton stadium =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I need to go and try tht. Later ask u for exact location ;P

      Delete
  8. I wonder how much business they took away from Dragon-i

    ReplyDelete
  9. love their salted egg pumpkin and hot & sour soup! they use to serve cute Cherry tomatoes in wine.. that was so awesome but its not available anymore.. too much work according to them..

    love the pic how Baby C has that anticipating look waiting for her food... such a foodie.. precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I've never tried their cherry tomatoes before. Too bad I'll never get the chance now.

      Delete
  10. I now feel like having that bowl of "hot & sour soup la mian"...looks very appetizing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally tried this place a few weeks ago - so yum and always so busy! What is Century Egg btw..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Century egg is a type of preserved egg, usually Chinese serve it with porridge or part of steam eggs, or eaten on its own like this. You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

      DTF's one has a very creamy centre, it is one of the best I've tried. :)

      Delete
  12. Other than the XLB, I also love their fried rice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea their fried rice so popular with the other diners.

      Delete
  13. One of my fave places for XLB...I can never say no to century eggs. addictively good! though..i kinda miss the small century eggs the size of quails egg.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Baby Sumo, delicious dim sum, everything look so yummy except the century egg. Can't bring myself to swallow the century eggs...:(

    Have a nice week ahead. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love DTF very much!
    I like to order their steamed chinese style layer cakes for dessert. Dip that in the black sesame paste, hmmmm...my favourite, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...