Friday, March 4, 2011

I cooked: Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Bistro Lamb Shanks

Recently while visiting the UK, I was reacquainted with an old favourite...let me explain.

Lamb Shank is a classic dish which we never fail to order whenever we spot it on a pub/bistro menu. We experimented cooking it from scratch once, and it was laborious; browning, overnight tenderisation, slow cooking for 3 hours, and then roasting for 1 hour. So it was an absolute Godsend when we discovered the Sainsbury's Taste The Difference range of "almost ready meals".

The pack of two lamb shanks were partially cooked by the supermarket chefs and then refrigerated and displayed for sale.


Preheat the oven to 180°C, prick holes in the heat resistant clear cover then place the container as shown below in the centre shelf of the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the heat resistant cover completely, then continue cooking for a further 25 minutes.

We decided to steam some carrots, broccoli and brussel sprouts and boil potatoes which were later mashed with some butter and milk.



The finished article lamb shank served at home.

Oh how I wish I could find something similar at Tesco or Cold Storage here in KL... UK readers, this is a must-try... all for £10 and cooks in 45 minutes! (Cooking from scratch would cost you at least the same price and a whole lot more effort)


*This is a guest post by ChloeandDanielsdaddy

8 comments:

  1. certainly it looks fabulous, check out my lamb stew I also just posted at www.nava-k.com.
    Who can run away from lamb????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I prefer lamb racks over shanks. :D Cooked lamb shank before and it took me about three hours to get the melt in the mouth texture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fujiko: Too bad dont have in KL..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nava.K: Yeah love all things lamb... lamb shank, lamb chops, lamb stew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle: It's quite difficult to get a good lamb rack here in KL (me thinks). Yeah I cooked lamb shank once before from scratch, so time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I can tell one thing for sure - I'm way too lazy to cook from scratch most of the time, haha! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. LFB: You have Devil to cook for you mah :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...