I was excited about cooking roast beef again in KL, but at the same time, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a good roasting joint in the supermarkets here. Thankfully, there are good quality beef around here and we have so far enjoyed several fantastic roast beef dinners.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Small beef roasting joint, preferably rib eye or striploin (approx. 1 kg )
Freshly ground salt and pepper
1 small onion, halved
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. Rub the beef with the olive oil, salt and pepper all over.
4. Place the joint in a roasting tin on top of the onion halves. The onion will caramelise as the beef cooks and give a lovely flavour and colour to the gravy. (*Tip from Delia Online)
5. Place the roasting tin in the preheated oven and cook for 5 mins per every 100g of meat for medium rare doneness.
6. While the beef is cooking, remove it at least twice and baste the meat with its own juices to keep everything moist and succulent.
7. Remove the beef from the oven, transfer to the carving board and cover with foil to allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
8. Any juices should be poured into the gravy, it makes all the difference to your gravy!
Carving the beef
Steamed brocolli florets
Dinner is served
9. Best served with roast potatoes, steamed vegetables and lots of gravy.
10.Or if you prefer, serve the carved beef with mashed potato, steamed vegetable and gravy.