What's Scottish Pie, I hear you ask? There is Cottage pie (made from beef mince), Shepherd's Pie (made from lamb mince) and our creation of Scottish Pie (made from haggis) aka Haggis Shepherd's Pie. For those who would like to try this out, you can get canned haggis from Ben's Independent Grocer in KL.
The haggis is cooked with onions and carrots, then spooned into a heatproof dish and topped with mashed potatoes. This is then baked in the oven for about 15 minutes. A comforting, delicious dish well-suited for the occasion. Would definitely make this again!
Scottish Pie (Haggis Shepherd's Pie)
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
1 can (392g) haggis
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 1/2 cup hot water
1 tbsp beef stock granules
Salt and freshly ground pepper
5 large Russet potatoes (1kg), peeled and cut into chunks
30g salted butter
1. In a large pot, add potatoes and enough cold water to cover the potatoes, then bring to the boil. Cook for about 12-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and ready for mashing. Drain and set aside. Using a masher, mash the potatoes, then add the butter, and then season with salt.
2. Preheat oven to 200C fan.
3. In a large pan or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the carrot and saute for another 1 1/2 minutes, then add the haggis. Pour in 1 cup of hot water, and use a spatula to loosen the haggis. Season with the beef stock granules and black pepper, mixing well. Reduce to low heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
3. Spoon the haggis mixture from Step 3 into a large heatproof bowl, then top with the mashed potatoes from Step 1. Grate Parmesan cheese over the top and place in preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes, until the topping is lightly golden.
4. Remove from oven and serve with steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates. Thanks :)