Beef Pot Pie
Recipe by Baby Sumo
1.5kg braising beef, cut into large chunks
150g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 cups beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp fresh thyme
2 dried bay leaves
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
25g dried porcini
3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
80g frozen peas
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 store-bought puff pastry, cut to size
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp milk
1. Coat the meat with the seasoned flour. In a large casserole pot over high heat, pour in enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat until the oil is hot. Fry the meat in 3-4 batches, until browned on all sides, adding more oil to the pan as necessary. Once browned, remove the meat onto a plate.
2. Add onions and garlic and fry until browned. Pour in stock, add tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme and porcini and bring to the boil. Add the meat and stir well. Simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon the beef stew into heatproof bowls or ramekins. Take the puff pastry and cut a circle bigger than the top of each pie-pot for the lid. Dampen the rim of the pastry again and then pop on the lid of each pie, sealing the edges with your fingers or the underneath of the prongs of a fork.
4. Mix the egg with milk, then brush the top of the puff pastry with the egg wash.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-assisted), then place the pie in the oven. Cook the pies for about 15 minutes. Once cooked, they should have puffed up magnificently. You can serve your beef pot pies with fries on the side, or it is good eaten on its own.