Monday, May 12, 2014

Recipe: Lamb Rogan Josh

Without a doubt, lamb rogan josh is our all-time favorite Indian curry dish. I was first introduced to rogan josh, a signature Kashmiri dish when I was living in the UK and whenever we went on our Indian date nights, we would order this without fail. It is an aromatic lamb dish which was brought to Kashmir (northern India) by the Mughals, whose cuisine was in turn influenced by Persian cuisine.



Since returning home to KL, I have only found a couple of restaurants that serve rogan josh. I finally summoned up enough courage to try making this curry at home and to my delight, it turned out really well. This curry was surprisingly very easy to make - it just requires some time to simmer down to a lovely consistency. I would advise making this at least 6 hours in advance (I made mine at 10am and served it for dinner) to give the flavours a chance to develop.




To complete our Indian-themed dinner, Hubby was given the task of making the naan bread to go with the rogan josh, and I also made some mango lassi. Rogan josh is a pretty mild curry, fragrant and packed full of flavour, so even the kids loved this a lot. The meat was really tender too. This recipe yields an authentic-tasting rogan josh, just like the ones we used to have in British Indian restaurants. Absolutely fantastic!

I was glad to see my whole family enjoying this, and both my husband and mum hailed this as "the best curry they have ever had" - such high praise, it definitely put me on cloud-nine. Would I make it again? Definitely YES!

Thumbs up from Baby C! She had 2 naan breads to soak up the lovely curry sauce


It's OK to have a curry moustache ;D



Lamb Rogan Josh
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine - Chef Vikram Sunderam
Preparation time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/2 - 2 hours
Serves 4-5

Ingredients
1/4 cup canola oil
900g boneless lamb (or mutton) shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
Sea salt
2 onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp Madras curry powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
14-oz can tomato puree
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
2 cups water
1 tsp garam masala
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Basmati rice and warm naan, for serving

1. In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Season the lamb with salt and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is browned, about 8-10 minutes. Once browned, transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.



Madras Curry Powder contains a blend of spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, red lentils, bay leaf, cardamom, fenugreek powder, cloves and more.


2. Add the onions to the casserole and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, Madras curry powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper and bay leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato, yogurt and water and bring to a boil. Season with salt.

3. Return the lamb and any juices to the casserole. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the lamb is very tender and sauce has reduced to a thick-ish consistency, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the garam masala; cook for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or naan. Leftovers can be stored overnight in the fridge and reheated before serving.



Note: Madras curry powder can be purchased at Jaya Grocer if you are living in Malaysia. It can easily be purchased at any supermarkets in UK. If you want it to cook faster, then you can reduce the water to 1 cup and reduce cooking time to 1 hour.



Mango lassi to complete the experience







I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest- Indian Subcontinent hosted by Chef and Sommelier.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's Facebook page on 1 November 2014.

17 comments:

  1. wow... I love lamb chop with bread! It's like eating like a middle east folk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pics of baby D and his thumbs-up and wonderful smile :D the curry looks delicious too. i must admit i've never really found lamb rogan josh that i've really enjoyed ... usually the meat tastes gamy and the curry is too oily ... but yours looks and sounds awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually asked me again today when I am going to make it again! He say he loves it a lot.

      Delete
  4. Slurpsssss!!!! That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yen
    This Lamb Rogan sounds and looks so delicious and appetizing. Love to give this a try. May I know you acquire this Madras curry powder here locally or in overseas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, I managed to find it at Jaya Grocer Cheras Sentral outlet. If you cannot find it, I believe there are some recipes online on how to make it from scratch using individual spices. Good luck finding it!

      Delete
  6. me too would love a taste of that....dip bread into that should be heavenly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done..
    Very neat & tidy food presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what can I say, I miss out a lot for living here as I don't eat beef & lamb. I know I know. That's why I prefer your homemade naan bread, hehehe. They look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very good! I don't cook curry often and would love to try your recipe. Which part of the lamb should I buy? Oh, the nan looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lian, I used lamb shoulder. When I bought it, it's already cut into 1 inch cubes, so even more convenient. If you cannot find lamb shoulder, then mutton shoulder is fine too.

      Delete
  10. that's nice... I love the lil writing on pictures describe the ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious with the bread...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love rogan josh too! Looks really delicious! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yen, this is simply delicious! I love lamb curry of any sort and this Lamb Rogan Josh is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Yen! Thanks for your contribution to this month's AFF! Excellent clicks and the lamb looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...