Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Recipe: Pineapple Nastar Rolls 凤梨酥 (CNY)

If we did a survey and asked 100 people what their favorite Chinese New Year cookie is, I bet at least 50% would answer "pineapple tarts". Me included. Even before CNY, we (yes, my family shares my love for pineapple tarts) have already gone through at least 4 cans of tarts this year. :D


Pineapple Nastar Rolls 

There are a few types of pineapple tarts - you can get open-faced ones, latticed tarts, enclosed tarts but my favorite of them all is the pineapple nastar roll. I've always thought they are difficult to make, but not anymore. I got my kids involved too, they helped mostly with rolling the pineapple filling into balls as well as brushing the egg glaze at the end. Handling the dough is a bit more fiddly but Baby C managed to roll up a few nice ones. To make the rolls, you will need to get the Nastar piping mould, which can be found at any bakery shops - see photo in instruction. I would recommend that you use good quality butter for maximum enjoyment of these rolls.



My two kitchen assistants, getting ready!



Homemade pineapple nastar rolls are simply the best! These surpassed my expectations - crumbly, melt-in-the-mouth and buttery pastry and each one comes with a big fat pineapple filling :)


So what are your favorite CNY cookies? Do share.


Pineapple Nastar Rolls 凤梨酥
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Nasilemaklover
Preparation time: 40-50 minutes
Cooking time: 17-20 mins
Makes about 85

Ingredients
175g butter, softened at room temperature
50g sweetened creamer (I used F&N brand)
255g plain flour, sifted
1 egg yolk

1 egg yolk, for egg wash
500-600g pineapple filling (homemade or store-bought)



1. Preheat oven to 170°C (no fan). Line a baking tray with  greaseproof paper.

2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and condensed milk until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add in egg yolk, and beat until combined.

3. Add flour and mix until the dough comes together and does not stick to your fingers. (Note: Texture of dough will be soft).

4. Put dough into a Nastar mould and press out into strips about 5-6cm long. (Note: You can also press into long strips, place the filling, then only cut once it is rolled up. I find it easier to do it this way).


Nastar mould
5. Roll pineapple jam into grape-sized oval shapes and place filling on the edge of a strip and  roll up into a small elongated roll. Cut off excess dough.

6. Place the pineapple rolls on the baking tray and brush with egg glaze.

Brush the pineapple rolls with egg glaze (egg yolks only)


7. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 mins or until golden brown.

8. Remove and allow to cool on wire rack before storing in airtight container. They taste best after cooling completely, and left for at least 12-24 hours.


Update 6/2/2015: If you prefer your pineapple tarts to be more golden, then after baking for 18-20 mins, switch to 170°C (fan-mode) and cook for a further 2 minutes. However, please keep an eye on them to avoid from burning.








Check out this post for my recipe for cute cashew nut cookies and German cookies.

I am submitting this post to the Bake-Along event #57: CNY cookies hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, lena of Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids. You can link your post at one of the hosts page.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks ;)

*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 4 February 2014.

20 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, I love this type of pineapple tarts too! It is a must for CNY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, drooling by just looking at those generous filling. I must say it again, i love your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yen, Very pretty pineapple tarts and I like your cake stand too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yen,
    I have yet to meet anyone who does not love pineapple tarts!
    Your tart looks wonderful, I have yet to make any this year, not sure if I'm making any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yen, your kitchen assistants are so cute and adorable! Yes pineapple tarts are always on the top of my list too! But I'm too lazy to make them this year... no time! So I'm just wishing I can have a tub of yours right now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I have your little helpers with me, maybe I would consider baking for CNY. Yes, pineapple tarts are my fav CNY cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. me too! i love, love, love pineapple tarts. ever since i was a kid, i've been grateful that my family usually buys at least a couple of tubs of tarts for the season. looking forward to them (my favourite are the open-face ones) :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite now is almond cookies, slightly more paleo friendly.... These tarts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good Yen! I haven't eaten many pineapple cookies but I remember them being delicious :D Now I can make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this nastar rolls pineapple too and will try to made one more batch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yen,

    Your two little helpers are extremely good in nastar rolls baking... Can I engage them too? :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pineapple tarts is my all time favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always get the egg tarts over pineapple. Actually, I don't think I've ever had the pineapple! Your look really cute and delicious! And your helpers are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and the kids made? Oooooo....so nice! So much jam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so cute of your two helpers :) I love pineapple tarts too, and you are right, who could resist a good pineapple tarts. Your tart look so good and flaky

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi yen, initially i hv the same thoughts as you about the nastar shape but not anymore after making the kumquat nastar rolls with the mould. you really got good helpers, the rolls look so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pineapple tarts look good!
    Thanks for showing the natal mould picture, will go get one and have a try, thanks Yen :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Yen, Waaa.... these Pineapple Nastar Rolls look so pro ! Impressive ! Well done to you & your 2 kitchen assistants . I have yet to venture into making this rolls but you make it sound easy ! I'll ask my mum to get the nastar mould for me ! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...