Monday, October 1, 2012

I cooked: Steamed Prawns with Shaoxing wine and Egg White

For us, one of the nicest ways to enjoy fresh prawns is to simply steam them with just a little Chinese Shaoxing wine. This way, we can enjoy the natural sweetness of the prawns.



This is a very light and healthy tasting dish, in Chinese we call it "清" (ching) since not much oil is used in the preparation of this dish. To prevent the prawns from curling during steaming, you can skewer each prawn on the underside with a bamboo stick or small toothpick. However, I skipped this step since I used a small heatproof dish which fitted the prawns nicely (compact so it didn't curl).


Usually most of the prawn dishes that I cook uses peeled prawns for ease of eating,but this is definitely one prawn dish worth getting your hands dirty for!

Sweet, fresh and juicy prawns



Chinese steamed prawns with Shaoxing wine and egg white
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Serves 3-4

Ingredients
12-13 prawns, trimmed, with shell on, and head and tail intact
1 inch old ginger, julienned
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg white
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2-3 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine

1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp cooking oil
Spring onion, to garnish


1. Wash prawns and pat dry. Using a sharp knife, score the back of the prawn to expose the flesh.

2. Pour egg white into a heatproof dish (I used a 23cm round dish). Arrange the prawns on top of the egg white, and sprinkle the julienned ginger and salt on top. Pour over the Shaoxing wine and sesame oil evenly and leave to marinate for 10-15 minutes.



3. In a frying pan, heat the oil over high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Add shallot and garlic to the prawns (do not add the oil).

4. In a steamer over high heat, steam the prawns for 5 minutes or until cooked. Do not overcook the prawns or texture will become hard and rubbery. Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately.




*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 1 October 2012.

Full set of photos can be viewed on my Facebook page here.

36 comments:

  1. stunning dish! simple and I m sure very very tasty.... we often order this also when we dine out... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If u can get fresh prawns, then u shd try this at home. Very easy!

      Delete
  2. It's very simple recipe.. Thanks for sharing.. Drooling.. must be yummy yummy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love prawns with the shaoxing wine... so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to steam prawn with Shaoxing wine and gingers, I will add some wolfberry as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prawns would have to be big and very very fresh. I like this...sometimes, once in a while for a change but I think I prefer prawns done in other ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When is your cookbook coming out? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah all the ur food so delish lor...can i jus sit and eat?im too lazy to cook nowadays..too busy at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, this is a very easy recipe. Usually most my recipes are quite simple, takes minimal time to cook so even ppl who have to work can come home and whip up a healthy, nutritious dinner. :)

      Delete
  8. yup...very yummy...made that before

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty prawns, all in a row! someone reminded me recently that prawns are pretty high-cholesterol, but they're quire irresistible :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheheh I was reading up on this fact the other day, apparently the cholestrol in prawns is the good kind. I always say eat in moderation... a couple of times a week is fine. :)

      Delete
  10. Love the presentation of your dish. The prawns are calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veron! Just simple presentation only. :)

      Delete
  11. I was salivating when looking at he picture earlier today! My mum also used this way to steam prawns during CNY & I haven't had it for so many years now! It has brought back some sweet memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was actually taught to me by my mum too. My mum used to cook it for us when we were younger too. ;)

      Delete
  12. Wow! You cooked these prawns very well... I think my husband will drool seeing this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an incredibly easy dish. Fresh ingredients can shine on its own :)

      Delete
  13. you so crevver hor.. u cook cook cook.. butchu never invite me and cumi.. why why why?!! Noooooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo so simple stuff only, then u come eat u say why I cook so normal stuff for u lah.. :P

      Delete
  14. Hi Baby Sumo, I love this prawns dish. I can easily finish half the plate. LOL

    Love your presentation, like from 5 star hotel. 2 thumbs up for you.

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks Amelia. I also can finish half a plate on my own, easily, but need to have self-control LOL!

      Delete
  15. I like this dish. When the prawns are fresh..I find it delicious to cook this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUP, must be fresh or else will use the prawns to cook other style.

      Delete
  16. Hi thank you for sharing this recipe my boss simply loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dish is absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...