Sunday, October 28, 2012

I baked: Healthy Sweet Potato and Raisin Loaf

Another healthy and delicious loaf we made recently was this sweet potato and raisin loaf. Very little sugar is added since sweet potato is naturally sweet. This loaf is best eaten warm - freshly baked out of the oven, it was very moist with a wonderful, crusty exterior. 


For this loaf, you can use any type of sweet potato (orange or purple or yellow). We used the purple Japanese sweet potato. You need to steam the sweet potatoes first, before mashing it for the loaf. I got my two wonderful kitchen helpers to give me a hand in mashing the sweet potato as well as beating the eggs. And of course, they helped me with the eating part as well ;)



Purple Japanese sweet potato


My cute little helpers :)

On the day it was baked, this loaf has a nice crusty exterior and a moist centre. We did find that the loaf wasn't as nice the next day as it tends to dry out a little. The best way to enjoy it is with some butter and a cuppa coffee/tea. The kids enjoyed this very much, it's also a great way to get more vegetables/fruit in their diet ;)



Sweet Potato and Raisin Loaf
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 - 1 1/4 hour
Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

450g mashed cooked sweet potatoes
30g soft brown sugar
115g butter, melted and cooled
3 eggs, beaten
75g raisins

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf tin.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a mixing bowl. Set aside.

3. With an electric mixer, beat the mashed sweet potatoes with the brown sugar, butter and eggs until well mixed.



4. Add the flour mixture and raisins to the wet mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is just mixed in. It may look a little lumpy at this point, but don't worry.

5. Transfer the batter to the prepared tin. Bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.



6. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn the bread on to the wire rack to cool completely. I served them warm, after about 20-25 minutes after it came out of the oven with some butter.







33 comments:

  1. Oooooh love these super cute clicks!! Love the one where these cute little chefs are whisking the eggs :D.Mwaaaaaaaaaah!
    Will definitely try this healthy recipe out and let you know.
    Have a wonderful sunday!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anuja! I love to get my kids involved in the kitchen, I feel it's a really fun and educational thing to do with them. School hols soon, will try more bakes with them ;)

      PS A friend tried this with yellow sweet potato today and it turned out well too! ;)

      Delete

  2. Pure deliciousness! So inspired by this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I have two helpers to help me in the kitchen like u ..;( Hhaha.. they are sooo talented...;P they even know how to pose for the pictures... tsk tsk. Know else where I can find such cute /adorable/ full of potential kitchen helper like yours? ;P
    Btw, love your creative recipe! Never thought of using purple potato to make bread! ;D Nutrient packed food indeed! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha have 2 kids and you'll have yourself cute little helpers too. Not so soon though ;P

      Other than sweet potato, pumpkin is great for making breads too.

      Delete
    2. HAHAHAHA! NOT SO SOON LAH (of course) siao meh?? ;P my mom will be getting heart attack when I tell her i wanna have two little kids to be my kitchen helper..;PPPPPP !!

      Delete
  4. Love raisins, love sweet potatoes...that must taste great, never tried...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love both, then definitely would love this!

      Delete
  5. the bread texture must be very soft after adding sweet potato, sound healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually quite a dense bread, especially nice when eaten warm.

      Delete
  6. What a great way to get all of your vegetables! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are not that fussy when it comes to eating vege, but this is a nice way for them to have sweet potato.

      Delete
  7. The flavor of this cake must be awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for generously sharing your recipe after much trial and error through the years! I hope I'll have two little helpers like you have. The baking will surely be fun filled.
    Eagan Fitness Center

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a very interesting and unique color for the loaf, thanks to the purpleness of it. truly eye-catching! i've had packet crisps made of purple sweet potatoes before, and i remember enjoying them, but haven't managed to taste any purple sweet potato loaves yet :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure some bakeries would sell sweet potato loaf, probably it won't be packed with as much sweet potato as this though! ;P

      Delete
  10. 2 potential great chefs are coming on their way! These Jap sweet potatoes are not cheap here & can only be found in some of the Jap grocery stores, so we don't have the chance to try them! I love this bread very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here also not cheap. But we like it cos it's quite starchy, so great for breads. Or just eaten steamed.

      Delete
  11. Lovely loaf! Great to see your kiddos enjoying this healthy loaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah am glad my kids enjoy everything I make including all the healthy, low-sugar stuff ;)

      Delete
  12. I think both of your kids are gonna be great chefs with the amount of training they are getting at such a young age =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope it lasts. Baking is a great way to inspire them, since they are things that they can do, soon I can teach them to cook too.

      Delete
  13. a lovely idea to get kids to eat vegetables.. ;)

    does the loaf have a dense texture for the inside cos I saw you used quite a lot of purple sweet potatoes?

    I am a big fan of sweet potatoes so I will try this recipe... and since it looked really kid friendly, I m gonna rope in Dylan ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you are right. The texture is quite dense cos I used a lot of sweet potato. If you think you cannot finish a whole loaf, then just make half first, cos it tastes best when warm.

      Delete
  14. I love the colour of this cake... the natural purple hue is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich. I love it too, it's so vivid in photos too! Purple is quite an appetizing colour, me thinks.

      Delete
  15. Love this recipe...and yes, that'll b my project for the coming school hols...am keeping fingers crossed that my 2 lil helpers will actually help me and not burn down the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I'm trying to come up with a few more bakes to do with my kids during the school hols too. Of cos u still need to supervise them ;)

      Delete
  16. i like the tiny chubby fingers, grabbing the bread. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. australian web hosting

    I could not believe that I am reading the post which will provide me very unique information which will be very helpful for me. Its really very amazing time for me. Please post some more things.
    T

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...