Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Recipe: Stir fried loh shi fun 老鼠粉 + Fishball tofu soup

Baking with kids is a good starting point in the kitchen, since the kids will only have minimal contact with hot stoves, but as they grow older, I am exposing them to some cooking activities too. Both my kids can cook scrambled eggs competently (yah, you guessed it - we have this almost EVERY weekend and they take turns to cook it ;)). I occasionally let them help with stir frying vegetables too.



For our latest kitchen adventure, I taught Baby C how to stir fry noodles from scratch, starting from going to the wet market together to get the ingredients, showing her how to chop the ingredients and then how to cook it. She really enjoyed the first session and in less than a week, she requested to cook this again for the whole family.




Loh shi fun 老鼠粉, also known as rats' tail noodle or silver needle noodle is a type of short, white Chinese noodles made from rice flour. In Malaysia, you will also find it packaged as laksa panjang. We enjoy stir frying this with minced pork (or chicken), sliced fishcakes, and beansprouts, and seasoned with dark and light soy sauce. This is a really simple noodle dish to prepare, and makes a fantastic, quick dinner. And yes, kids always tend to eat more when they have helped prepare the dish.

Proud of my little girl!


We served this stir fried loh shi fun with a bowl of fishball tofu soup each, which the kids like too. The soup is simply made by boiling some dried anchovies (ikan bilis) for 10 minutes. Easy and nutritious!




Stir fried loh shi fun 老鼠粉
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
450g loh shi fun (laksa panjang)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp cooking oil
100g minced pork or chicken
2 fishcakes, sliced
300g beansprouts, washed and drained
100ml water
1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
1 tsp ginger wine

To serve
Spring onion, finely chopped
Sambal (optional)


1. In a wok, heat oil over medium high heat and once oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned.

2. Add the minced pork and stir fry for about 5-6 minutes, or until the pork is golden brown. Add the fishcakes and stir fry for another 30 seconds.

3. Pour in the water, and season with the dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, ginger wine and chicken stock granules. Once the sauce comes to the boil, add the noodles and stir to coat with the sauce, cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add the beansprouts and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the beansprouts are cooked through. Taste and season with more light soy sauce/salt as necessary.

4. Garnish with spring onions and serve immediately.


Note: Once you add the noodles, you may need to give your child a hand tossing the noodles with the ladle as it can be quite heavy, especially if you are cooking for a larger group. Adult supervision is required.






Fishball tofu soup
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
16-20 fishballs
4 cups water
2 handfuls of ikan bilis, rinsed and drained
Salt, to taste
Spring onion, finely chopped
1 box silken tofu, cut into small cubes

1. Place water and ikan bilis in a saucepan over medium high heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, lower to medium low heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

2. Add the fishballs and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the tofu and cook for a further 30 seconds. Season with some salt.

3. Serve immediately and garnish with spring onions.


Note: You can use either silken tofu or 水豆腐.




If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

21 comments:

  1. Love to make my own Asian style food. It is so much better and healthier at home. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have a bowl right now, I love to try the chef special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom usually fried lou shu fun this way too! very delicious ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like having this for dinner after seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a plate of this for my lunch now. Can I order one plate from Ms C?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love stir-fried loh shi fun and cook this at least once a month. Your daughter is turning into a chef, and a cute one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so yummy, like true-blue hawker-fried fare! Now I'm craving loh shi fun, nomnomnom... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great that they're learning to cook! It's such an essential skill that a lot of people miss out on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh, at this point, i swear that your children are definitely both better cooks and better bakers than me (seriously!). great job, baby c! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yen, you are moving in the right direction to equip your kids with cooking skills! I can see that they enjoy baking and cooking. The stir fried loh shi fun looks delicious. Baby C did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wah...you also can make loh shi fun!! I miss it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never fried 老鼠粉before, i must try it one day! I must get my daughter to learn cooking and cook for me one day, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks simple and yummy.I always fry beehoon in Luanda, maybe should bring one pack of loh shi fun over, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wah pretty soon your daughter can take over and you'll be very senang d, the dish looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! Wouldn't mind the noodle in the clear soup with the fish balls as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Yen,

    Baby C is such a girl now... I can see she is a hardworking girl and very good too in executing task. With you being her si fu, her nostalgic looking fried 老鼠粉 looks wonderful too.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wah...so clever already . Learing from mummy

    Your LSF looks good. Dry not goey stinking to each other. I like

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm gonna try out this simple yet appetizing recipe soon...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good training, Yen with your girl's help! I so like this stir-fried loh shi fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Yen, I'll be busy this weekend and thinking what to cook. This post has solved my problem. Thanks for sharing. Noodles and soup is good enough. Maybe I'll add some leafy greens to the soup so that my hubby will not complain - no vege ah?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this meal!! I love the kind of noodles you used. I have to see if Asian stores here sell them. I can already imagine how delicious these noodles are... and not to mention, my favorite fish ball soup! I've had best fish ball soup in Taiwan... it's so hard to find good one here. I'm hungry looking at your meal!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...