Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I baked: Banana and poppy seed loaf

My kids are bananas over bananas! They love them in all forms- banana ice cream, banana cake/loaf/bread and the banana fruit.

The kids set out for their evening walk and mummy gets baking. When they get home, they are greeted by the wonderful smell of this freshly baked banana & poppy seed loaf ;)



The recipe I have used several times now is adapted from BBC Good Food's "Brilliant Banana Loaf", and it's really easy. I have reduced the sugar level, as well as use soft brown sugar instead of caster sugar. And I also omit the icing sugar topping, because it is sweet enough and good as it is! For texture, I have added a small amount of blue poppy seeds. The baking time is slightly longer than stated in the original recipe (50 mins instead of 30mins).


Moist, tender and crumbly, we love this to bits and we can easily finish the whole loaf in one sitting. And yes, we the kids usually have to fight for the last piece!



Thanks mummy for the bake!


Banana and poppy seed loaf
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
Serves 5-6

Ingredients
140g butter
125g soft brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
140g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract


1. Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Butter a 1kg loaf tin.

2. Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then slowly add the eggs, one at a time.

3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and fold into the butter-sugar mixture. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla extract and poppy seeds and mix well.



4. Pour into the tin, level the top with a spatula and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.



A delicious tea-time treat ;)


31 comments:

  1. When I was in the US, I really enjoyed all kinds of poppyseed bakes. But unfortunately, can't get these in SG nor bake them! Once a blogger did, and the narcotics dept came knocking at her door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Yen, this is perfect - I was just looking for a banana bread recipe! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, my dear! Hope you like the outcome :D

      Delete
  3. looks good.. somemore got poppy seed.. nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah poppy seed adds a nice crunchy texture ;)

      Delete
  4. Ahh looks amazing! I could never get my banana cake to be brown like yours! I wonder if it's because you used brown sugar while mine is caster. Also, do you think it makes a difference that I melted my butter instead of creaming it with sugar? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't rmbr, how long did you bake yours for? I did some research for your benefit, using room temp butter creates a high rising, moist cake and using melted butter will create a cake denser with a texture closer to a muffin. You use melted butter cos u don't hand an electric mixer or whisk?

      Delete
  5. Wow love the poppy seeds in the amazing banana loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kids are just so lucky! I want to be your kids! Lol!
    I WILL TRY THIS OUT WHEN I GOT MY OVEN!! *semangat*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe when you getting your new kitchen and oven?

      Delete
    2. Soon! Hopefully before CNY next year! :)) Anyway it's a petite kitchen hehe but still very look forward to have my own cooking station :D

      Delete
  7. my grandfather's a banana lover too, so he'd be happily munching on this with your kids. love how the texture looks in your pics, i can definitely imagine it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a banana fruit fan but I love them in bakes and ice cream. Hehe!

      Delete
  8. Hi Baby Sumo, your cake look so moist and yummy, yum yum......
    Now tea time, can pass me 2 pieces, please! LOL
    Your boy look so cute.

    Have a nice week ahead, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Amelia, you may have to wrestle my kids for a slice of the banana cake ;P

      Delete
  9. Now that's what I need to accompany my afternoon cup of tea :( Can you post some please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any type of homebake is fabulous with a cuppa tea! You'll have to come by and get your own cake cos I don't think it would survive the journey (eaten by lil monkeys in the car) :P

      Delete
  10. That s a nice idea to add poppy seed to a banana cake, i must try that next time. Your kids are really blessed to have a mummy that make so much good homecook food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw poppy seeds in the baking supply shop, and got a small pack. It adds a nice texture. I think would be nice on top of breads too.

      Aww thanks, the same could be said for your boy. I think all kids with mummies who are cook with love are LUCKY!

      Delete
  11. Oh, the banana cakes were like now you see now you don't. Bet that they were finished very quickly. When I was young, I didn't like banana cakes at all but now that I get older, my taste buds have changed & food that I dislike have become my fav food & vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, I know what you mean! Some things I totally won't touch when I'm younger but I love eating them now.

      Delete
  12. I love banana bread and this looks so very inviting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vimitha! ;) One of the easiest and nicest bakes.

      Delete
  13. Today i have been seeing few bloggers posting banana cake which one cake that i have long time did not bake one, because i am busy trying new recipe, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehehe, I guess everyone's busy trying new recipes nowadays! Your children are lucky. ;)

      Delete
  14. How nice if I can have a pieces of this banana cake for my supper now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been saving some overripe bananas in the freezer for more banana cakes. I might go get some poppy seeds for it though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Yen,

    What an co-incidence about kids like eating banana cakes and muffins... my boy is going banana with bananas too! Every time I want to bake something with bananas, they will be all gone before I can use them for baking...

    Your banana loaf looks fantastic! I can see that your boy really loves it.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummmmmm!!! Looks good! Btw, your beautiful kids should charge you modelling fees for posing for your photographs. Heheheehehehe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...