I enlisted the help of BabySumoKids to make the cake and they did a great job! All I had to do was supervise them and read out the measurements and instructions to them, and they did everything else, from measuring, mixing, assembling and decorating the cake. The smile on Hubby's face when he saw the cake was priceless and even more so, when the kids excitedly told him that THEY made the cake.
Classic Victoria Sponge
Happy birthday Hubby!
Wonderfully luscious, we would definitely make this cake again :) A great cake for any celebrations, be it for birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day or Valentine's Day.
Enjoy this short recipe video for Classic Victoria Sponge (link here)
Classic Victoria Sponge
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Delia Smith
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
110g caster sugar
110g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1 tsp milk
8-10 fresh strawberries
200ml whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 190C /170C fan.
2. Grease two 7-inch (18cm) cake tins and line the base with greaseproof paper.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until you get a pale, fluffy mixture . This will take about 4-5 minutes. Add the egg one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Sift the flour, then fold into the mixture. Repeat until all the flour is incorporated. The mixture should fall off a spoon easily, add some milk if necessary.
5. Divide the mixture between the two tins, then place in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool for 1 minute, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off the base papers.
7. Once cooled completely, you can assemble the cake. Place one layer of cake on a cake board, then spread with jam.
8. Whip the cream until you get stiff peaks. Spread a generous layer on the cake.
9. Wash the strawberries. Hull and thinly slice about 3-4 strawberries. Arrange on top of the whipped cream.
10. Spread jam on the other half of the cake, flip over and sandwich the layers together. Sift some icing sugar on the top.
11. If serving as a birthday or celebratory cake, you can spread some more whipped cream in the centre of the cake, and decorate with whole or halved strawberries. Store any leftover cake in fridge for up to 3 days.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates. Thanks :)