Hubby was in-charge of baking the cake and I was tasked with decorating the cake later. For the cake base, Hubby made a butter cake in a 18cm x 18cm square tin. To make the number 7 from a square cake, I have provided a visual guide in the recipe / instructions below. Don't worry if the cake looks a bit uneven, as you will be able to touch up and beautify it later using the fresh whipped cream.
Number 7 Birthday Cake with Creme Chantilly
For the cake decoration, I have gone for a floral theme - decorated it with some Sweet William (edible flowers) from our garden, as well as gum paste leaves and fresh strawberries. Birthday girl loved it! :)
Happy Birthday Darling.. love you always!
We have some special news to share today... please follow me on Facebook for latest updates!
Number 7 Birthday Cake
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 70-80 minutes
250g good quality unsalted butter
180g caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g self raising flour
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp milk, at room temperature
For the Creme Chantilly
300g whipping cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 edible flowers
2 strawberries, sliced into half
Edible decorations such as leaves and ladybirds
1. Preheat oven to 170°C /150°C fan.
2. Grease and line the base of a 18cm x 18cm square cake tin. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Then, add the eggs one at a time, and beat well, repeat until all eggs are used. Mixture should be light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence, and mix.
4. Fold in sifted flour in 3 batches, until well combined. Add the milk and mix well. Your batter will be of a dropping consistency at this point.
5. Pour batter into prepared tin and place in preheated oven. Bake for 60-65 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Divide cake into 3 equal rectangular portions (6cm each). Cut according to this diagram and then arrange to form a number 7 on a cake board (or large chopping board covered in foil/paper).
The shaded area are the ones not needed to form the number 7 (for eating later)
8. To make the Crème Chantilly, place the whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat until stiff. Spread Crème Chantilly on top of cake, then arrange edible flowers, strawberries and any other decorations to your liking.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates.. Thanks :)