Sunday, March 30, 2014

Recipe: Stir fried brinjal with dried shrimp and minced pork

Eggplant, more popularly known as brinjal in Asia is one of my favorite vegetables. Brinjal can come in different shapes, sizes or colour but the more common ones in Malaysia are the long and slender purple ones (roughly the size of a cucumber). Brinjal can be used for making "yong tau foo" (ie brinjal stuffed with fish paste) or stir fried Chinese-style with some dried shrimps and minced pork, just to name a few.

In Chinese cuisine, dried shrimps 虾米 are regularly used for flavouring as it is said to impart an "umami" taste to the food.  Dried shrimp are shrimp that have been sun dried and shrunk to the size of a rice grain. 


Stir fried brinjal with dried shrimp and minced pork


When stir frying, we usually peel the skin of the brinjal first. If you want to reduce the amount of oil used for cooking, then it is recommended to salt the raw brinjal before cooking. After salting, simply rinse and drain, and it is ready to use.

Remember not to overcook your brinjal - you want it to retain its lovely, meaty texture. A wonderful, flavorful vegetable dish :)




Stir fried brinjal with dried shrimp and minced pork
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 4


Ingredients
4 medium-sized brinjal, peeled and cut into baton-size
4-5 tbsp cooking oil
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp dried shrimp, rinsed
50g pork mince
1 tbsp ginger wine
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules


1. In a wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and fry for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant. Add the dried shrimp and pork mince and fry for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the brinjal and cook for 3-4 minutes, until soft (texture to your liking, if u prefer it softer, cook for another 1-2 minutes).

2. Season with ginger wine, light soy sauce and chicken stock granules. Stir and taste seasoning, serve immediately.

Note:  Known as eggplant, aubergine, brinjal. The recipe above does not include salting. If salting, you can reduce the amount of  oil used.




I am linking this to the Little Thumbs up "Prawn" event organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids andDoreen from My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Food Playground. You can link your posts here.

If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

18 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! And reminds me that I have to buy some dried shrimps back to Luanda. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yen,
    I love brinjals, anyway it is cooked! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the photo I did not realized this is brinjal because you have taken the trouble to peel off the skin. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a dish perfectly spooned over rice! Great photos as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try with peeled skin next time:). I have never peeled brinjal skin for frying. Yummy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm a fan of brinjal too, the texture is so comforting! having it with prawns and pork would be fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're my favourite eggplant to cook with too! There's no need to treat them like you do with the big ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo...my daughter's favourite - brinjal. Did you remove the skin? Can't seem to see the colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur, yes I prefer to peel the brinjal when I cook this style. The brinjal I used is the long, slender purple ones.

      Delete
  9. Not a big fan of brinjal but this sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this dish, I'm a huge fan of brinjal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yen, I love brinjals too! I have eaten something like this at the chap fan stall but theirs is drenched in dark soya sauce. I must try your dish one of the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this dish, one of my must order in Esquire Kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Yen, I like this dish but not so much to the children. Oh dear, just realise that I haven't updated my blog for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm..i love brinjal with mince meat .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yen,

    I love stir fry with dried shrimps too. It gives the dish lots of extra flavours, texture and fragrance.Your stir fried brinjal looks very nice :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  16. My fav vegetable too :) Now I have a new recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how this brinjal is cooked. The dried shrimp makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...