Saturday, March 22, 2014

Recipe: Quick & Easy Butter Oat Prawns

King prawn is my second favorite seafood, coming a close second after scallops. Prawns are always present in my fridge/freezer - I like to use them in cooking because they take only a couple of minutes to cook and with just a few other ingredients and simple seasoning, they can taste so good!

Butter Oat Prawns


I have been meaning to try out "butter oat prawns" after seeing some of my friends cook this. This is a variation of my usual king prawns with garlic butter and curry leaf. For this dish, no prawn peeling is required - just trim the prawn feelers and you're ready to rock! Rolled oats is first toasted with some butter. Then, more butter is used to cook the prawns with garlic, curry leaves and chillies. Definitely sinful!


This is a dish worth getting your hands dirty for and don't be afraid to suck on the shells, which are full of flavour. The toasted oats has a nice nutty flavour and texture, I reckon the more butter you throw in there (if you don't have any health concerns), the better it tastes!



Butter oat prawns
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 3-4


Ingredients
400g large prawns (approx 8-9)
90g salted butter
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp caster sugar
3 stalks curry leaves, leaves only
1 red chilli, sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ginger wine (optional)
1 tsp chicken stock granules


1. In a wok, melt a third of the butter over medium heat, then add the rolled oats and cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is nicely toasted and golden. Add the caster sugar and stir well. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. Heat oil over medium high heat, then add the garlic. Fry for about 1-2 minutes, until golden, then add the curry leaves and fry for a further minute until fragrant. Add the prawns, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until cooked through, then add the remaining butter and stir to coat. Add the chillies and toasted oats from Step 1, and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Season with chicken stock granules and ginger wine and then serve immediately.





I am linking this to the Little Thumbs up "Prawn" event organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen from My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Food Playground. You can link your posts here.

If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

16 comments:

  1. Yes curry leaves lol, the soul of the dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. The roasted rolled oats and curry leaves made these prawns smell so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prawns look huge, bet this is super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if there's any chance of persuading Devil to make this for me when he's back from Angola (since he's been on a homecooking streak lately)? Well, one can always dream... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I've never had oats with prawns before! I'm so interested in how this tastes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a family favourite in my malacca household too ... my grandmother and aunts would adore your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yen, this is definitely delicious and I don't mind extra butter used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy and delicious. Once in a while must indulge into unhealthy dish. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmm!!!! These HUGE ones are RM35 a kg here. How much are they over there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your oat prawns look good, like those in the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yen,
    Your are brilliant! Using oats instead of cereal.
    Oats gives more texture and I was wondering does it gives more flavor compare to cereal?
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yen,
    Could you please pass over that plate? Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely sinful...gorgeous! I don't mind getting my fingers dirty for these gems. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Yen,

    Seeing your delicious oat prawns, you are making me so sad that I can't eat any prawns... sob sob!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for the late visit. Saw this dish on Facebook the other day but really don't have time to visit your blog, in fact, today is the 1st time in this week that I have time to sit down to visit friends' blogs. This is the 1st time I saw butter prawns cooked with oats, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...