Saturday, January 18, 2014

Recipe: Homemade Kumquat 金橘 Jam

Around Chinese New Year time, you will find kumquats (kam kat 金橘) easily at the supermarkets as it symbolizes prosperity. They looks like mini oranges and the peel has a sweet flavour, whereas the fruit can be sour and slightly bitter. Since this fruit is in season now, I grabbed a pack and decided to make some kumquat jam.


Homemade Kumquat Jam


Kumquat - Mostly round, though some are oval shaped


I think kumquat has a very nice fragrance. The kitchen is filled with its wonderful smell as I chopped it up into small chunks and deseeded the fruit. A 250-g pack took me about 10-15 minutes to deseed and chop. Then, the kumquat (peel and fruit) is simmered with water and sugar until soft. This will take about 15-20 minutes. Then you can place it a blender, food processor or use a hand blender to puree it. Once cooled, it will thicken up into a nice, spreadable consistency. A really easy, peasy jam to make at home!



This kumquat jam tastes really good,  and I like spreading it on toast or bread in the mornings.You can also use it as an alternative filling for nastar roll (aka pineapple tarts), however you should increase the sugar to at least 1/3 cup as the  filling needs to be sweeter since the pastry itself is not too sweet.


Thanks again to The Unc for the Le Creuset mini cocotte gift ;)


Homemade kumquat jam
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Prep: 10-15 minutes
Cooking: 15-20 minutes
Makes approx. 300g


Ingredients
250g kumquat, washed
4 tbsp sugar (see note below)
100ml water


1. Cut the kumquat into 1/8ths and remove any visible seeds.

2. Place kumquat in saucepan with sugar and water and bring to the boil over medium high heat. Once boiling, lower to medium heat and cook until the kumquat has softened, about 15-20 minutes.


It will thicken up slightly after 15 mins of cooking


3. Place in food processor and puree until smooth. Place the puree in jar and cover immediately. Allow to cool slightly, then place in fridge and it will thicken once it has cooled down completely.



Note: If you using this to make nastar rolls or kumquat tarts, you can increase the sugar to 1/3 cup.





If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

8 comments:

  1. I wish I can buy some kumquat here. It is very expensive and hard to get in Kuching. Making into jam sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kumquats are my favourite!! I love the jam on toast and even on crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really into jam but I wouldn't mind having a bit once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe you read my mind! I was just saying to someone that I loved cumquat marmalade! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yen, I never try kumquat jam before, must try one day! Are you going to make Kumquat tarts next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a simple yet useful recipe, thanks for sharing. Admire your photography skills too!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...