Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Set lunch @ Kung Jung Korean Restaurant, PNB Darby Park, KL

Sometime ago, I received an email from a reader, who suggested that I should try Restoran Kung Jung in PNB Darby Park since I like Korean food. I also received feedback from several blogger friends that the food there is good, hence Hubby and I went for lunch one day. 

Dolsot bibimbap

The restaurant is located on the third floor of PNB Darby Park. It is very spacious, and surprisingly very busy during lunch hour. The ventilation however, wasn't too good hence I walked out smelling like "beef ribs". LOL.

The menu was a mix of Japanese and Korean dishes. I was too lazy to pick a la carte dishes from the menu, and since I saw many people ordering the set lunch, I followed suit :P There were only 5 or 6 options for set lunch, each coming with unlimited refills of banchan and corn tea, a portion of grilled beef ribs (galbi), mains, fruits and Korean coffee / tea.



Corn tea

The beef ribs were not that great, unless you actually got a piece with some meat on them. This was Hubby's plate, he was luckier than me... I got mostly bone and gristle.


The banchan selection was pretty decent, from kimchi, anchovies, tofu, fish cake/ aubergine, mashed potato, beansprouts and spicy cucumber. We had refills of the kimchi, beansprouts and fishcake/aubergine.



Kimchi


Beansprouts (kongnamul)


Hubby's dolsot bibimbap set (RM32) was tasty. The sizzling claypot rice was good, laden with ingredients such as kimchi, spinach, beef (you can also opt for chicken), beansprouts and mushrooms with a raw egg. The gochujang (chilli pepper paste) is served separately, so you just add as much as you want. It is also served with a bowl of soup.



Very colorful - we like!

Mix well, let the raw egg cook against the sides of the hot stone bowl


It was a really hot afternoon, so I was drawn towards the naengmyeon (RM32), which is a cold noodle dish served in a large stainless steel bowl with iced tangy broth. It is topped with julienned cucumbers, Korean pear and half a boiled egg as well as a few slices of cold beef. The long and thin handmade noodles will be snipped tableside, for easier consumption. I have eaten this once in the Korean restaurant in Seremban but somehow I didn't enjoy it this time. It tasted a bit bland, I thought Hubby's dolsot bibimbap looked a lot more appealing.




Korean iced coffee


Or hot lemon tea


Verdict: The dolsot bibimbap was pretty good, however if overall price/ambiance/food was taken into consideration, I would have preferred to dine at Bulgogi Brothers.


Pork-free. 

Service: Fast.

Price: RM70 for 2 pax.

Location: Restoran Kung Jung, Lot No. 3.1, Level 3, PNB Darby Park, Jalan Binjai, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Tel: 03-2166 7181

GPS Coordinates: 3.158085,101. 718548

22 comments:

  1. oh well... at least you tried! The Bibimbap looked good...

    There is another fabulous Korean place I just found... Publika - San Nae Deul.... you can see this on the main road... its really awesome! Lots of Banchans and the meat portion is very good plus they have lots of private rooms...I have been there several times but havent had a chance to blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I just didn't order the right things. Seems like you need to order the more expensive items to enjoy a good meal here.

      Thx for the recommendation - nxt time can try out San Nae Deul ;)

      Delete
  2. Not familiar with Korean. Have tried kimchi at the Korean restaurant here before but I did not like it. Maybe I should drop by one of these days to see what else they have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean food is an acquired taste, hopefully u find something tht u like!

      Delete
  3. I will never understand noodle drenched in icy cold soup >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those korean small dishes...
    nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're sometimes one of the best parts of a Korean meal. The one I like best is cockles.

      Delete
  5. I have to confess that I hold my chopsticks in an incorrect way & because of this, I always have problem to use Korean chopsticks, hehehe! This restaurant looks very spacious hoh? The last time I had bibimbap was like 8 years ago? Alamak, didn't realise that it has been this long. Ah, feel like having 1 in this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe maybe u can make the ordinary bibimbap at home.. quite easy one. :)

      Delete
  6. mmmm, gimme a good bibimbap and i'm a happy customer! :D i've only been to this restaurant once but it was a memorable evening. it was on a date, several years ago. and my date complained that the food prices here were too high. suffice to say, that was our first and last date :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh NO! Haha but your date is right, the price here is indeed high.

      Delete
  7. Oh what a shame that it wasn't more wowing but it's good to try it-I usually like receiving recommendations too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok, good that we tried this place. Maybe we shd tried the a la carte items, but I wasnt prepared to pay too much for a quick lunch.

      Delete
  8. Hi Baby Sumo, nice pictures, very well taken. I don't really fancy Korean food but would love to have the Korean iced coffee, slurrrpppp...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, all photos taken with my humble iphone4s. :)

      Delete
  9. This is one of my favorite korean restaurant. Been there many times, still love it. You should have tried their BBQ, spare ribs to die for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful; I would keep staring instead of eating it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i love this place.. went there few times with my family... later, tot of bringing my date to celebrate his birthday.. i know he'll love it

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...