Friday, August 3, 2012

I cooked: Steamed sweet egg custard (Dessert)

When I saw this recipe on Jessie's blog, I immediately wanted to try making it. My children love eating the savoury version, ie. Japanese chawanmushi so I knew they would love this too. Also, when we go for dim sum, my daughter likes to eat the egg custard only from the egg tarts and sometimes leave the pastry crust for us - this dessert will allow her to eat all the egg custard that she likes! Furthermore, it is quite low in sugar.


Steamed sweet egg custard


Since this is a delicate dessert, Jessie advises to treat it like a baby hence everything has to be done gently or over low heat. When I made it the first time, I kept checking the egg custard in the steamer to make sure that I did not overcook it. My recommendation is to check it every minute after 5 minutes cooking time, to make sure the custard has just set and is nice and wobbly (give it a little shake and the custard should wobble). I feel that it tastes very much like the egg custard from egg tarts but with the silky smooth texture of tau fu fah (beancurd dessert). I like it very much, will definitely make it again and again! Thanks Jessie for sharing this recipe ;)



Steamed Sweet Egg Custard (Dessert)
Recipe adapted from Jessie-CookingMoments
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
Serves 1-2

Ingredients
1 egg
15-18g caster sugar (I increased the sugar slightly since the milk I used was not the sweet type)
125ml full cream milk

To garnish
Mint sprig

1. Fill water in a steamer and bring to boil.

2. Crack the egg in a bowl and whisk gently with a fork until smooth & slightly foamy (this will take about 1 1/2 minutes).

3. Warm milk and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until 28C (you need a thermometer for this for accuracy). This will take less than 1 minute, so keep an eye on the temperature. If you have a microwave, you can place sugar & milk in a microwave-proof bowl. Heat up in the microwave for 15-17 seconds and stir to dissolve the sugar. Do not overheat or the heat of the milk will cook the egg.

4. Pour (3) into (2) and stir gently until well-combined. Sieve through a fine strainer into a clean bowl. Divide & spoon into 2 small teacups. I did not have small teacups so I just used a 10-cm ramekin. Spoon out small bubbles and cover with aluminium foil.

5. Place the teacups of egg mixture into the steamer and steam for approximately 8-10 minutes over medium-high heat or until the egg custard is still a bit wobbly when shaked. If the egg custard does not wobble, it means that they are over-cooked.

6. Garnish with mint sprig and serve immediately. 



Full set of photos can be viewed on my Facebook page here. 

24 comments:

  1. wow! I like it...(bcos its easy! hehe)
    Thanks for sharing. I would love to try it.
    Want to ask. If I do not have a thermometer, can I just use low heat to warm milk and sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can, but will be difficult to guess when the milk gets to the right temperature. I think if u heat low heat for under 2 mins, should be ok. Touch with your finger, it should be slightly warm only. (Mine take less than 1 min cos using induction - heat very fast)

      But if u cook always, can get a food thermometer - can use for measuring roast meat / steak temp also. I think under RM50.

      Delete
  2. wow, what an interesting recipe. it looks like you're serving it hot/warm, and i'm wondering if it would work as a chilled dessert too though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...good idea Sean...u got me wondering as well =)

      Delete
    2. Sean and KC, I think it is possible but I need to try it first, cos some custards will form a layer of "skin" when you chill it. I found that when I made custard as filling for my other desserts before.

      Delete
  3. Very nice and smooth! I saw this on Jessie's blog and have been meaning to make it also, but first need to get a food thermometer. Once I tried to use my kids' thermometer for my food, i almost spoiled it :p - Mich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe it's good to get one, since u always bake/cook. It is handy for the more sophisticated desserts. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love steamed egg custard too, can make for me :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe this one very easy - I think you can make it easily too. And I think Sam will like it.

      Delete
  5. That looks wonderful ! Cold for summer and warm during winter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Though I prefer to serve it warm to the kids since too much cold food is no good. Hehe.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I thought u might like it since it is low in sugar.

      Delete
  7. mmmmm...um yum indeed...no thermometer. i guess i'll just have to wing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can la.. jus agak-agak. As long as low heat and the milk feels slightly warm to the touch. Can't be too hot cos the heat may cook the egg. Try a few times then can edi.

      Delete
  8. Looks good. Reminds me of Creme Breule (sp?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think creme brulee is slightly richer since it uses double cream and only egg yolks, right?

      Delete
  9. Looks nice! Does it end up tasting like a sweet version of chawanmushi? Wouldn't it be better if you toss it in the fridge for a bit so that it's cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sort of. I like it warm, and also dont really like giving my kid cold stuff too much.

      Delete
  10. Yes, yes, yes, what you said was exactly what I meant! Thanks for trying this recipe & have my name mentioned, hahaha! Girl, we are planning to go back for holidays in Dec, any chance to meet up with you? It would be good if we can call Quay Po & Sonia out at the same time, 1 trip "gao dim!" Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing it Jessie, I love it. Yes, I would love to meet you, do let me know when exactly and I will try to come.

      Delete
  11. Ooooo...I love this!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...