Monday, April 30, 2012

Set Lunch @ Ishin Japanese Dining Restaurant, Old Klang Road, KL

I have been told that Ishin serves very affordable set lunches. We finally made our way there last month with Mei Yee and Kenny for lunch. As soon as we were shown to our table, we were each given an iPad menu... yup, they've embraced technology and gone paperless here. Most of the items on the iPad menu has an accompanying photo too.. the problem with this was that most of it looked so enticing and made us want to order those dishes!  

The interior


iPad menu!



It took us quite a while to flick through the menu, but since we were after an "affordable meal", we ended up ordering the set lunch which had the most attractive photo LOL! I forgot to take down the prices for the set lunch that we had, but I believe it was something like RM22++ per set. On top of the set, Hubby and I were feeling greedy and ordered some side dishes (add-ons). I had the chuka idako which was nice but a bit small in portion, but then again for RM4, one can't really complain. Hubby likes having chawanmushi with his Japanese food, so he ordered one of those.

Chuka idako (marinated baby octopus) (RM4)


Chawanmushi (RM4)


Each set came with an appetizer, on our visit we were served a cold potato salad. The set lunch also comes with miso soup (unless you order one of the cold noodle dishes), pickles, rice and fresh fruits.


Mei Yee had the shake (salmon) teriyaki set, and Hubby had the unagi set. We thought that Hubby's unagi was a little small (very different from the illustration on the iPad for sure!!). Kenny and I both went for the cold noodles set, which came with tempura. He had the Ten Zaru Soba while I had the Ten Cha Soba (flavoured with green tea powder).

Salmon teriyaki set (RM22)



Unagi set (RM28)



Ten Zaru Soba set (RM22)


Ten Cha Soba Set (RM22)


I really enjoyed the cold noodles, dipped into the cold tsuyu mixed with scallions and wasabi. It was so refreshing to eat this! The next time I visit another Japanese restaurant, I'm gonna order cold soba again.


A new favorite


Tempura 



Since I can't eat kiwi, they kindly replaced it with dragon fruit. 


Mei Yee, Baby Sumo and Kenny - a great afternoon catching up!

Verdict: Set lunches here are reasonably priced. May come back to try their a la carte offerings another time.

Full set of photos available to view here.

Opening times: Lunch (12.00-3.00pm), Dinner (6.00 - 10.30pm)

Service: Good.

Price: We paid about RM30 per person.

Location: Ishin Japanese Dining Restaurant, No. 202, Persiaran Klang, Batu 3 3/4, Off Jalan Kelang Lama, 58000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Tel : +60 3 7980 8228

GPS Coordinates: 3.103021, 101.677952

26 comments:

  1. the food looks very tempting! does the ipad shows pics of 1 food by another? or a few in a page? if one page one pic so much hassle le..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is one per page. Most items have a photo except for the side dishes. Not really a hassle, but can spend a lot of time flicking through the photos (admiring them) LOL

      Delete
  2. How come you can't eat kiwi? Did i miss out something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. look delicous... make me hungry like to eat ... www.redlomo.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth is...this place is under my trade embargo...since an incident a few years back where they failed to honour or inform me on the status of their kaiseki dinner set which I have bought...there was only a notice on their FB page that they were having problems with their web payment...and after tat nadda...was so disappointed with their unprofessionalism :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! But truly, poor service leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I've experienced that elsewhere before and feel very reluctant to return there ever since.

      Delete
    2. Tats why instead of here...I will always go to Coco.Tei or maybe Fukuharu (which I still have not visited) instead =)

      Delete
    3. Fukuharu set lunch is good, and it's available on weekends too. You should try.

      Delete
    4. Haha...ok ok...although I m more interested in their varieties of sold soba =)

      Delete
    5. I think I also want to try their cold soba nex time ;)

      Delete
  5. Not a fan of Japanese food... Ah!!! You're a friend of witch and Kenny, I see. I love meeting blogger-friends and getting to know one another better. Had one in town these two days, just left this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to meet bloggers in person. Most of them are so nice!

      Delete
  6. RM30 for a basically satisfying japanese lunch like this seems like quite a good deal! and you guys are great, cos you don't over-order! i had lunch today and ended up ordering two large pastas, two massive main courses and two big desserts for two of us, and now we're in a food coma and we can't focus on work :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lunch, and we have planned to be reasonable with our ordering. Though we did go for cendol after that!

      Delete
  7. One of my fave places for lunches when I have appointments in OKR...you must try their bento promotion. amazing stuff. quite filling too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK will try it another day, hopefully not much rice in it as I don't really like eating rice during Japanese meals.

      Delete
  8. I just had a lunch here with some colleagues.. not bad as we ordered ala carte. My favorite was their house signature Baked Scallop.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wahh!! Old klang road have such place? Im really outdated..;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cold soba is your new fav?? Same here!! :D been ordering cold soba whenever i was at japanese restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The small portion of unagi definitely cannot satisfy me !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether
    this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble.
    You are amazing! Thanks!

    My blog post trip to pattaya|#KM6 bangkok to pattaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! How nice post. This post are most attractive with beautiful food item picture.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...