Monday, May 30, 2011

I cooked: French toast

Too busy to write an elaborate food post, hence sharing a very simple recipe for French Toast.

French toast, also known as eggy bread in United Kingdom is one of my favorite breakfast food. Slices of bread are dipped in a milk-egg mixture and then fried in butter until golden brown.

Hubby likes his savoury, so he tops his with some freshly ground salt and pepper. On the other hand, I like mine sweet, so I drizzle honey or maple syrup over it and finish it off with a dusting of icing sugar plus some butter.


French toast
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 2


Ingredients
6 slices of bread
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
Pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Some butter for frying



1. Beat eggs in a wide, shallow bowl and stir in salt, milk, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract.

2. Over medium heat, heat a small frying pan and melt some butter in the frying pan.

3. Dip the bread into the egg mixture one at a time. Let the bread soak up the egg mixture, ensuring it is totally coated.

4. Place the coated bread into the frying pan and fry both sides until golden brown.

5. Serve hot with honey or maple syrup and a sprinkling of icing sugar.

12 comments:

  1. i like my french toast dunked in a nice, big bowl of half-boiled eggs. the eggier, the better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean: Oooohhh.. eggs and more eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like French toast freshly made with love... Lotsa honey and sugar helps too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. love my french toast too! some say add a bit of cream for some indulgence and one recipe i read say put half a shot of single malt whisky which gives it a diff whiff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. this reminds me of my moms cooking. she used to make this for me when i was child, albeit only three times. each time, she serves a slice of vienetta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LFB: Yes those are the best kind of food.. made with love x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe: Lol a little whisky sounds good, though I dont think thats advisable if I'm cooking for my 2 yr old as well :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle: Ice cream and french toast sounds heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Small Kucing: Awww do you make it for him often?

    ReplyDelete
  10. one of my favourite...!!! my mom always made this for my breakfast...!! love it so much.. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  11. u reminded me of my fave bfast prepared by my late grandma always! gish.. miss her and the french toast so much :)
    guess it's time for me to prepare this for myself this round :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...